I love to watch Survivor. It is my favorite reality show. I know I'm not alone on this one! Some of you out there love it too! So, do you ever find yourself wondering if you've got what it takes to be on the show? I think about this every Thursday night while watching good 'ole Jeff Probst and the Survivors. Well, maybe I don't think, "Could I do this?". It is more like, "I could never do this."
Here is what I've concluded:
1) I don't like to be dirty (who does, really?). I would complain about how dirty my clothes are, my hair, my finger nails... and we all know that a complainer gets voted off.
2) I can't go potty without a toilet. I went on a mission trip to Mexico one year, and the banos were holes in the ground, and it was horrific. I could go into detail, but you get the picture.
3) I am scared of animals-- all animals. Survivor always shows the mice and rats crawling around camp at night... nope, couldn't do it.
4) I barely eat boneless skinless chicken breast, so there is no way that I could stomach any of the animals that the Survivors are fortunate enough to come across (I get that they are starving and are desperate, but even then... I couldn't do it). Once, on a challenge, the Survivors had to eat really gross stuff, like a pig snout with the hairs still on it... I'd quit, and quitters get voted off.
5) I am not a very fast swimmer. Swimming is usually important to a top competitor on Survivor.
6) My mind doesn't work in the strategic way that it would need to... Survivors usually have some sort of scheme involving an alliance, and some blind-siding, and some lying... I'm not smart in that sense. Strategy is so crucial, and those who don't have strategy yet stay in the game a while are considered "coat-tailers" and never win the prize money.
7) It would be so hard to leave my family for 40 days (assuming that I'd be the winning Survivor!)
Did I forget anything? Oh-- 8) I have no desire to be on TV wearing a Survivor buff as either a top or a skirt.
I think that Devon could handle being on Survivor, but he says that he couldn't leave us for that long. Maybe I'll send in an application for him... we could use a million dollars!
I might be beating a dead horse here, but I have more to say on the subject! I am super curious about the behind-the-scenes of the show. Do the Survivors get to know the camera crew? What happens if girls need, um, girl items? The show shoots for 40 days, you know, so Aunt Flow is bound to stop by! What about shaving the bikini line? Sometimes they show girls with arm pit hair, so they must edit out the bathing suit shots with, um, unsightly growth! Sometimes Survivors "hook up" and kiss-- what about their breath??? It must be so nasty! There must be some serious body odor at camp.
My question for you, dear Readers, could you do it? Have you ever considered it?
Also, do you have any behind-the-scenes questions that I didn't mention?
I think that I could win on Amazing Race, but I'll save that for another blog!
4 comments:
Annie I ditto every single reason why I could not go on Survivor! At least once every episode though I think could I????? We always think about signing up Doug (who thinks he could win) because we could really use a cool million too! I always wonder though if he would be loved, hated, or do something that would embarass me for the rest of my life! He is a master of a lot and is super strategic he is a sniper and a detective and to top it off he can sew! BUT.....he gets really cranky when he doesn't eat or have plenty of H20 and he has "habits" that only I know about and I think America would be shocked!
I always wonder about Aunt Flow and the bikini line! Doug says that the camera crew definitely befriends the cast. We were talking about that because of poor Sugar being exiled for five straight weeks! But the camera crew is there....it would make for some pretty awkward silence if they didn't chat. I was thinking of a Real World a long time ago when someone got booted because they hooked up with a camera guy.
Annie I would totally do Amazing Race with you!
Great Blog by the way!
Doug would be a great Survivor! Sign him up! I could see him having a strategy and keeping a cool head-- he'd be one of the silent leaders, and they usually make it far in the game. But can he swim fast???
Remember when we wanted to apply for Deal or No Deal?
I was considering Exile Island, and I decided that it wouldn't be that scary to be alone because the crew is there. Yeah, they must become friends.
I read a fictional book about a reality show similar to Amazing Race, and the author researched a bunch of shows (Survivor included) to see how they really work, and in the book the camera crews were rotated between groups so that they didn't bond with contestants and help them compete in any way. Also, in the book, when the camera interviews just one person, there is a crew member who is asking pointed questions, looking for a specific answer, and if the answer isn't stated as hoped, the question is re-phrased to try again for a "tv worthy" quote. It's like it isn't scripted, but it is controlled, you know? Hmmm.... I need a job!
Clever blog, Annie! I love hypothetical questions! To answer your question: No! Yes, the million dollar factor would be quite motivating but, let's face it, I can barely gear up for camping! That being said, I guess I would have to actually see the show to really decide. That's right, I am funny that way. I just can't commit!
My show that I could totally see myself being on (and quite possibly winning!) is Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Danny could vouch for me: I totally rock the multiple choice questions!
Also, another reason why I could never do Survivor is I am way too modest. I would never want the world to see me dirty and hairy! I can barely put on a bathing suit!!
I'm late to respond, but I could NEVER be a Survivor either! I'm a complete weenie.
Now, the Amazing Race - I could never do it either. I can't even watch the show because I fell like I am going to have an anxiety attack while all these people are running around like crazies trying to beat each other. Not my style. Can't stomach it for even 5 minutes.
Here's my Survivor question - what about the facial hair for the guys? It never seems to grow??
Post a Comment