October 30, 2008

I "Clocked-Out"!

We have been enjoying our time in California, but as always, the days go by so fast!


We REALLY miss Devon, and I think that he really misses us too! I can't wait to see him tonight!


Something that I've noticed about being a mom, in addition to the fact that there is no clock-in and clock-out part of the job (as I've mentioned before), is that a vacation with kids is even more work than being home with kids! First, you have to pack EVERYTHING that you might need--from diaper cream and sippy cups to multiplication flash cards and toy swords. Then, at the destination, there is some baby-proofing to be done, and even after that, you can't really take your eyes off the curious toddler because she has a way of finding Sharpie markers, scissors, fragile decorations... the swimming pool...

So, my vacation has left me exhausted.


BUT, yesterday, Lucy skipped her nap, and she was completely OUT for the entire night at 7:30pm!!!! Yes, there were some rough patches (5:00-7:00) when she was so tired that her little emotional roller coaster was a bit much for everyone in the vicinity, but did you catch that she was asleep at 7:30?? Joe goes to bed at 8:30 every night, so last night I "clocked-out" at 8:30! It was like a night off! No dishes to do, laundry to fold, bills to pay... I was on vacation! If only I'd had ANY energy to go see a movie or something with my sister and mom. Instead, we watched America's Next Top Model and played cards. And ate brownies, many, many brownies.






New baby is now the size of a lemon! Last week was a medium shrimp. I don't remember when I will start to feel the baby's movements-- do any of you remember? I am anxious to get that "flutter" feeling! We went into the hot tub a couple of nights ago, and it was a bit shocking to put my swimsuit on-- I don't think that I ripped any seams, but I'm not certain!



Joseph was able to play with Kennedy a couple of times, and his cousin Avery too. I love that he can play with the girls and not be "too cool". He really looks up to Tanner, but I think that he is a bit intimidated by him in an I-don't-want-to-embarrass-myself-by-asking-you-to-play-swords-with-me kind of way. I should just show Joe some pictures of Undie-Boy from back in the day-- introduce him to the Tanner that I know!! After all, those 1999 photo albums will surface in the very near future!



Lucy and her cousin Ellee played together, and it was super cute! They each took a basketball into the driveway and took shots at my dad's hoop, which is regulation height, so of course they were far from ever coming close to the hoop. But they didn't give up! They would shoot, and then say "Almost!", and then retrieve the ball and try again. Jill and I loved their enthusiasm and optimism.




My mom took some pictures of the 4 grandkids together, hoping for a Christmas-card-worthy picture. This one is my favorite--


It is always to sad for me to say goodbye to my family, but we'll be back in a couple of months, and next time Devon will be here with me to share the duties and give me more clock-out opportunities!

3 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

I know what you mean by vacation sometimes being extra work! So glad you got to "clock out" last night! Bust any seams?! Please! You look amazing and that is still the best swim suit I have ever seen! You are rockin' the baby lemon bump in style!

I can't remember when I first felt baby move. I feel like it was 14 weeks. At the time I could have told you how many days, hours, and even seconds I was pregnant but now it's kind of a blur. I remember wanting it so much because it finally makes you feel legit! Baby lemon will be kicking you saying "Hey Mommy I could use some more chocolate down here so keep the brownies comin'!".

Tell Joe that Tanner is never to old to play swords with him!

The "old bird" will get you home just fine! I hope Lucy cooperates and you get to read you US Weekly! And really when you get home just relax and try to live in "the now" because 1999 is way over rated!!!! :)

comfy cozy said...

I have been too intimidated to plan a vacation because I sorta pictured it just the way you described, though it sounds like you enjoyed yourself, especially the clocking-out part! Your evening sounded exactly like one I would spend with my mom and sister: a little tv, playing a game, and overeating!

And, yes, you are rockin' the suit! Holy moly! You need to be proud, hot mama!

I think I agree with Lisa when I first felt baby kick. I'm sure I have it documented somewhere. Which reminds me that I need to get a cute journal so I can write down all these things (like her first laugh, etc.) because it does somehow get blurry. When New Baby kicks, it will definitely be a blog-worthy event!

Have a safe (and relaxing?!) trip home!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Hi Hotty!
You look smashing in that suit!! YOWZA!!
I'm so glad you got a break from the chaos that is "vacation." I bet it felt fabulous!

14 weeks seems about right for baby flutters...isn't it sad that I can't remember? It's the greatest feeling in the world!

Do you have a feeling if we should be shopping for pink or blue?? I'm kind of leaning towards blue...

Hope you made it home safe!
Love you!