I was going to blog about something irrelevant today (not as irrelevant as Britney), but I've got to get this off my chest--
I have no idea who to vote for.
Here is my situation-- I am married to a Democrat. I know, I know. I have accepted that I was born and raised in an environment that led me to register Republican, and just the same, he was born and raised in an environment... you get it.
I'll admit that this is the first election that I've actually watched the debates and given any thought to my own political opinions. The only thing that I've learned is that I am wishy-washy. Where is my political backbone?
For example, Obama wants out of the war right away, right? And McCain wants to proceed and win and then get out. Well, I think I agree with McCain-- let's finish and not let the lost lives be lost in vain. But who doesn't watch the news and just want it all to end? Devon pointed out to me that we have a son who could be drafted in less than 8 years and be sent to war, and I truly cannot bear the thought. And here I am, undecided.
As I type this, Lucy is sitting on the floor, eating Cheerios and playing with horses, without a single worry in the whole world, and I feel a tremendous responsibility to her (and to Joe and to New Baby) to be educated and to have political opinions and to vote. Am I letting my children down by being an undecided voter?
I do feel that being partnered with Devon in life, raising a family, financially... that he and I should be unified in our views, right? Otherwise, our votes just cancel each other's out!
Devon once told me that he thinks that he is a closet-Republican, but Bush, and the current state of our country, have pushed him away. We almost had him!
But like you said, Andrea, it is so important to consider the moral and ethical values of the candidates (and parties). So, where are Devon's morals and ethical values? (I'm kidding, sort of).
And you know what has really been bugging me? Joseph keeps telling us that he and nearly everyone in his 4th grade class are "going for" Obama. What the heck does he know? If I don't have this figured out, why does a 10 year old? Who is influencing him? Is this the way that it works? When I was his age, did I tell my parents that my friends and I are "going for" Bush Sr.?
To wrap this up, deep down I feel politically connected to my good bud Elisabeth Hasselbeck, but you all see my dilemma, right?
I feel vulnerable for putting this out there. Here's to blogging!
6 comments:
Annie, you are so not alone! This is the first election I've really cared about because now I have a vested interest (i.e. Hanna, a mortgage, a gas-guzzler to fill up). Clearly, the two canidates have very different views, so I too feel that I should know which one I agree with. Yet I don't. So I guess I'll hang onto what the Republican party stands for. I'd like to think that we are simply being open-minded, not wishy-washy. At least that's my positive spin on it all!
I concur wholeheartedly! This will be my first election in over a decade that I will actually be participating in. I guess I have always felt like either my vote didn't count or the country was somewhat on autopilot. Until it took such a drastic turn. Can in soley be put on Bush or attributed to 9-11 (I hate that Bin Laden can sit back and know he is still harming our country 7 years later) or a combination of both? Also, I feel the exact same way about the war. This girl is still indecided too! I can see good in both candidates and don't want more of the same but I want to feel safe. UUUGGGHH! OK Annie your blog was perfect and now I sound wishy washy!OR.....Open Minded? Thanks Sadina! I love your spin and Annie I want to send a big DITTO on your blog.
Amen Sista!
I fully understand the pressure to make a good voting decision for the sake of my family. This election is much more than years past...I'm very nervous.
Because I was feeling wishy-washy too, is why I decided to vote based upon what the party stands for. I decided to forget the faces running and go with what they represent. All I can do is hope that my reasoning is appropriate for casting a vote.
Follow your heart and be confident in your decision - at least you are making an effort to be informed and base your opions. I feel like with this election especially, many, many people will probably vote in a way they would never have dreamed of in years past.
Wow! Your rediculous! This thoroughly disappoints me as well as all people that serve your country are employed and are pursuing the "American Dream". Purchase an economic 101 book and discover the basic prinipal policies of liberals and republicans. If that doesn't settle it just think of your morals. Or maybe your ok with Lucy coming home from school in 6th grade and saying "My teacher said it's ok for girls to kiss girls and boys to kiss boys" I stongly urge you to not buy into Obama's brilliant and expensive campaign and use your brain to make a correct decision for yourself your family and your country. McCain Palin 08'
Is it getting a little hot in here?
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!
Seth, I admire your passion for politics. See, I want to feel strongly about these important issues, but I get confused. I promise to do my homework and educate myself (I've got 18 days!).
And we have had a tough time explaining "gay" to Joe, but I do not want the government to take this role from us!!!
I'm glad that you read my blog. Did you see my shout-out to you and Adam?
Post a Comment