October 13, 2008

Going Green?

I used to cling to my California roots, believing that recycling and such was for these Pacific-Northwest hippies, but now that I've been here almost 5 years, and in light of our current global warming/global economy situation, I've really warmed up to the idea of "going green."

Would you believe that our neighborhood has an annual "Green Halloween" event that looks like a carnival but has a recycling, healthy, no-candy, educational theme?? I personally feel that this is going a little far with a message (we want the candy!). Also, the homes in our 'hood were all designed with very narrow garages, which I always thought was weird, and then I later learned that this design is to accomodate small, fuel efficient vehicles rather than big gas guzzlers! I can barely fit my gas guzzler in the door! And the street parking is very limited, which I later learned is to discourage homeowners from owning multiple cars. Is it just me, or is that weird? Who thinks of this stuff while designing a community?

Anyway, my point being... I've been hearing that you can save money on your energy bill by unplugging anything that isn't being used--even if it isn't turned on. I have always unplugged the blow-dryer, toaster, blender... but I've found a whole new lot of items to unplug (printer, electric pencil sharpener, VCR (yep, still have one!), a lamp that never gets used), so I am going to experiment and be somewhat of an unplugging-nazi and see if my bill goes down. The main suggestion has been to plug your entire tv, cable, entertainment unit to a power strip with an off/on switch so that these items don't drain energy while turned off... but that seems a bit extreme for this month. I am going to start small and let y'all know how it goes. Are any of you doing this already?

Does anyone else have any tips?

Is this the most boring blog ever? It just felt relevant as I sit on the floor surrounded by bills.

Oh, also, we finally bought re-usable bags at Safeway for $.99 each, and they are awesome! First of all, their handles are nice and long so that I can carry grocery bags on my shoulders. Second, they hold a lot more than plastic bags, which means less trips to the car to bring the groceries in (though this makes them a bit heavier), and lastly, there is a $.03 rebate for each bag when used, so after 33 trips to Safeway, these babies will have paid for themselves!

Now, if I can just figure out how to get the solar panel on the roof... haha

7 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

I can hardly keep up with you and your world saving tactics! I too think of ways that we "over endulge" on energy...but then, we do recycle, and we did plant quite a few trees this year...does that count us as being eco-friendly?

I need to blog.
I have a good one today!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Annie I couldn't be more proud! You will never believe what my blog is today! We are in sink....wow....like karma or something? Cosmic.
Tips! Are you kidding me? You do know what you just opened yourself up to right?

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

I meant to say my "upcoming" blog.

Annie said...

Andrea, yes, recycling counts, and I've NEVER planted a tree, so you've got me there!
Lisa, bring on the tips! Have I opened a series of blog-discussions without even touching on politics?? Woo-hoo!

Wilson Girlzz said...

yes - you're a great conversationalist without politics!
have you thought of the low energy light bulbs? they are the spiral ones??? i haven't tried them but have considered...you know you can buy them in bulk at costco. how ironic is that?

Annie said...

I've considered the better light bulbs, but they are more expensive. Plus, I seem to have ample supply of the other kind, so maybe once they are all burnt out I'll try the new ones.
Isn't it frustrating when eco-friendly does not team-up with budget-friendly????

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

OK I just noticed the reusable shopping bag math and thought it deserved a commendation! Trader Joes have those bags too and I bought one the other day and they entered me in a raffle for a $30.00 gift card! Mama like.