May 1, 2013

Happy Birthday to Mom!

A couple of months ago, my sister and I hatched a plan.
We called my dad- our dad- and offered to be our mom's birthday gift from him.
"Want to fly us down for mom's birthday?  She'll be so surprised!  She'll be so happy!"
Yes, she was very happy, but she was not surprised.
I think the conversation went something like this:
Mom- I think I'd like to go to Palm Springs on my birthday.
Dad- Oh, okay. We could do that.... but  I already have something planned for your birthday.
Mom- You do?  Really?  Are you flying the girls down?
She can read his mind.  It is pretty amazing.
Anyway, my sister and I each hopped on a tiny airplane, met in Portland, hopped on a bigger airplane, and arrived in California, where all California girls truly belong, right?  This gift for mom was really a gift for us too! 


It was such a nice visit with family, and we did all sorts of celebratory birthday stuff with mom while I took a small break from being a mother myself-  Devon and Grandma Donna covered my shifts here at the Rantz homestead.  Thanks guys! 
 
Check out my newest nephew, Beckett.  Mmm Mmm Good!  He is so delicious!  Mom called birthday-dibs on him.








We had birthday dinner at Goomba's in Grass Valley, and then cake at Seth and Carlee's house, and my dad may or may not have coordinated a medley of songs to sing to my mom, accompanied by Adam and Seth on percussion and background vocals, and Molly and I may or may not have contributed some vocals too.  It wasn't my finest moment, but it was a sweet gesture from my dad.
 
I brought home lots of hugs from my parents, Adam and Jill and their kids, and Seth and Carlee, and I spread the love around to Devon and our kids. 
 
And mom had a very happy birthday :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Love!!!!!!!