February 7, 2011

The Doldrums of Winter

You know it is the doldrums of winter when...
  • you don't have a single tan line on your body.  Anywhere. 
  • the exterior of your car is dirtier than ever.
  • your children's hair has a distinct root line where the exposure to sunshine ceased.
  • your coat rack is extremely top-heavy, which is surprising because...
  • you found nine coats in your car.
  • your children wrestle with each other every night after dinner because they are desperate to expel energy after being couped up in the house for too long.
  • the local playground is flooded and then frozen.
  • you daydream about vacations to sunny places.
  • seeing the new spring clothes at the mall lifts your spirits. 
  • you suffer from cabin fever.  
  • the landscape outside is blah, and it coordinates with the color of the sky, which is also blah.
  • your home energy bill has reached an annual high. 
  • you consider purchasing one of those lights that help people with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). 
  • you diagnose yourself with SAD.
  • you spend an unhealthy amount of time playing Bejeweled.
Oy vey!

7 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Oh Annie! How do you do it every time?! YOU ARE HILARIOUS!!! I think you should find a support group for your SAD! :) You are so right and I would agree on most points except would it be cruel to say that it was sunny and almost 70 today?...okay that was mean but I am hospital girl remember?! I sat out in the front (which we all know what they say about those kind of people) and rocked in the rocking chair while Doug scrubbed the winter off our car so it would be fresh and clean for Henry! On tap for tomorrow...taking down the xmas lights. Can you believe they are still up?

I love this post and my vacation to sunny AZ this summer keeps me going most days! :)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Oh and is bejeweled only available on the ipad? It looks fun! You did get me hooked on christmas crunch! :))

Wilson Girlzz said...

"Doldrums"
Nice Word!!

I too lack tan lines and day dream about the warmer temps.

You can move to Bend...it would be perfectly fine with me. It might be cold, but we had bright blue sky today and sunshine. Clear and Cold.

The invitation is O.P.E.N. (forever and always)

Molly Andersson said...

I love bejeweled! I'm sorry you have SAD :( I love you and you must move to California!! :) also.. our energy bill was way high this month as well!

jami said...

I am going stir-crazy too! Mia watches and abnormally large amount of TV and we just stare out the window hoping for a break in the rain to play with chalk.....I cannot wait for spring.

PS: my mom said that the groundhog said we would have an EARLY spring YIPEEEE!!!!!!

Just Me said...

Ahhh, SAD is the condition of many of us who live in the Seattle area. I can't imagine one of those lamps could truly take the place of the sun, a warm sandy beach and all those wonderful summer things I long for.

I too love Bejeweled and have found Bejeweled 3 which has great special effects. I also play a hidden object game called Jewel Quest which incorporates that game too. It is addicting.

Today it is sunny and some blue sky peeking out between the clouds so I am feeling better and my bones love it too.

Love your post. As always.

Allison said...

After only having a few days of clouds and snow, I am beginning to think that I am a card carrying member of SAD! I hope it is starting to clear up for y'all! Love you. :)