February 1, 2011

Half Empty/Half Full

Today is my half birthday.  Yes, I am 31-and-a-half today.
I know, half birthdays aren't supposed to be recognized past the age of 8.  Or 9.  Or is it 10?
Regardless, I always take note on the first of February, half celebrating my un-birthday in my own little mind, and half aware that my allotted time at my current age is half over.

I am a glass-is-half-empty kind of person.  Perhaps you know this about me. 
I am a worrier by nature, and my tendency to worry about everything has somehow drawn me toward the opinion that a glass half full is really only a glass half empty.
Devon is the complete opposite in this regard.  He is what I like to call an "insane optimist."  I think that we balance each other out this way-
He is the voice of optimism, and I am the voice of doom.  (Hmmm.  Let me try that again.)
...and I am the voice of reality.  (No, that one isn't right either.)
...and I am the voice of reason.  (Yes?  No?)
 ...and I am the voice of pessimism.  (Okay, fine! Are you happy now??)

In honor of my good ol' half birthday, I tried my best to be a half-full girl today.
Observe:

It was freeeeezing cold today, again. (half-empty)
But the sun was shining and the sky was blue!!  (half-full!)
We walked to the park not once but TWICE today.  And though the first park that we went to was frozen in a lake of ice, the second park was suitable for play, and we were so happy to soak up some sun.  If Max could accurately express his thoughts in words, I think that he would have said, "What?!?!?  We are leaving the house on foot??  YEEHAW!!!!!!  Let's hold hands and swing our arms!  Let's run!  Let's look for airplanes! Okay, I'm tired now- can you carry me the rest of the way?"


So, Devon is out of town, again.  (half-empty)
But Merry came to visit us this afternoon, and we were so happy to play with her! (half-full!)
Merry brought a super cute princess tent for Lucy, which Lucy quickly deemed "No boys allowed!"  So, we had to bring in our Ikea igloo tent so that Max could have a little hide-out of his own.  And then we made our traditional trip to the Boehm's chocolate factory where Merry treats us to our choice of chocolates. 
Mmm-mmm-mmm!

The tent activities (and the chocolate eating) lasted throughout the day and kept all the kids occupied (half-full!)

Parenthood is recording on my DVR right now. (half full!)
I had all the kids asleep and in bed by 9:00 tonight- all by myself!  (half full!)

Okay, this 31-and-a-half-year old is ready to enjoy a late-night bowl of cereal...  all by myself (sniffle sniffle). :(

But first, following Andrea's (Wilson Girlzz) lead, here are some favorites to share-

Color: pink and pink with a little more pink

Coffee Stop: Starbucks caramel machiatto

Vacation Spot: hmmm... Palm Desert

Season: it has always been winter, but, Dude! I'm so over it! Give me spring!

Holiday: Christmas

Dessert: banana cream cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory

Cocktail: mojito!

Accomplishment: giving birth. I was SUPER SCARED, but I DID IT!! TWICE!!

Letter in the Alphabet: I love A, of course, but living with 4 other people limits me from putting up A all over my house, so, naturally, a second fave is R. Say it like a pirate "Arrrrrrr!"

TV Show: so many to choose from. I'll go with Grey's Anatomy

Summer Activity: oh my gosh, I cannot think of a favorite summer activity. I really like to sit poolside and read magazines, but I haven't done much of that since becoming a mama.

Pair of Shoes: black flip flops

Meal of the Day: any meal that I don't have to cook!

Blog: (yes, other than those of my blogging buds) Enjoying the Small Things

Bible Passage: Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Childhood Memory: Road trips to Palm Desert with my family. Days by the pool, eating out, shopping with my mom, playing cards with my dad, and chillin' with my brothers and sister.

Your turn! What are your favorites?

8 comments:

Just Me said...

Happy Half Birthday.

I know I talk high about the new year coming but the downside is I always realize I now am in the year I am going to be closer to my next birthday....bummer.

Love Max's rooster hair and poor Lucy's little red cheeks. Can't wait to see her new tent.

Devon is an optimist. I have no idea where he got that from. I can't take credit but I do like it in him. He can always reassure you. Or me. Or anyone.

I will take a stab at a few favorites.
Color: Blue, but it changes.
Dessert: Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate.
Vacation spot: Beaches, anywhere, but love the ones in Mexico, the Caribbean side especially.
Season: Summer, summer, sunshine and beaches.
Favorite TV show: The Good Wife. This category is very hard to choose but I just watched it and I love it so I'll go with it for now.
Favorite Meal: Breakfast and I love the whole process, cooking and eating it leisurely. I can finally do that after so many years of working and not being able to.
Activity: I too like to sit by the pool or even better, the ocean, and read a magazine or book and drink a pina colada. But like you, it's been a looong time.
Favorite childhood memories: Playing cards with my family and cousins. Playing pool and ping-pong at my cousins and going to the lake with my parents and cousins.

Wilson Girlzz said...

Awe, now I would have NEVER described you as a 'half empty' girl. Really, really.

All worriers aren't pessimists - you know, I like to think of us worriers as being ultra cautious in all that we do. ;o)

Your half birthday looks like it ended up being pretty sweet. I really like Max's smile in the tent picture - does he smile for the camera like that very often? It's awesome!
I like that Merry takes you out for chocolate treats, what a fun (and delish) little tradition!

9:00 bed time for 3 kids is AH-MAZING! I hope you have a good day today...another reason to celebrate, it's Groundhogs Day and Little Phil didn't see his shadow so spring is on the way!! (half full, oh yeah!)

Wilson Girlzz said...

Oh, I meant to say...nice list of fabvorites Donna!!

:o)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Happy Half Mama!!! I love that you celebrate your half bday! I have been really really sad and things have been pretty eventful around here, but your posts really keep me going! :0) No pressure!

I love your half full vs half empty images from yesterday! You crack me up! I am a worrier too but definitely a half full girl! I think you are too!

I will get working on my list if I can! :)

Leslie said...

Awwwwww I LOVED this blog! First, A very merry unbirthday to you! to you!! Second, I also LOVE that you loved the road trips to Palm Desert as well as all your other good memories and I am so glad you have them! Third, I am really missing Palm Desert a whole, whole lot so let's go!!! This year Easter break falls during my birthday and that is what I am asking for! :)

The Browns said...

I like a half birthday...in fact anything that feels childlike, I think is good for the soul:)

As for the weather...BBBURRRRR!!! Good for you for trying two different parks!! You're such a trooper:)

I'd never take you for a pessimist!! But, at least you have Devon to balance you out;)

Katie Lott said...

Leslie, can I come too?!?

Love your favorites, Annie. And hey, we didn't sit by the pool last summer, but I did really enjoy our days by Pine Lake. They weren't too stressful. It's a definate go-to place for this coming summer.

Lisa, I posted a new blog about fabrics if you want to see. :)

http://katecongdondesigns.blogspot.com/

Molly Andersson said...

happy belated unbirthday!! :) I love you and I'm so proud of you for being half full!! I'm like devon in my habitual half-fullness! :) love your favs :) and about to go work on my own!!