Today I shushed the timer on our oven, as if it was one of the kids making an annoying noise. As soon as I'd realized what I'd done, I burst into tears.
This mama needs a break.
Devon has been traveling a lot, and while I shouldn't complain that he is away because he is working hard to support our family, I simply miss him. And need him. These hellions kiddos of ours wear me out, and without Devon as my wing man, I turn into a nasty, impatient, yelling, growling, tired, ugly mama who doesn't get to shower regularly and who shushes kitchen appliances. It isn't pretty, folks.
But there is hope for tomorrow!
It is Friday, which alone is good news, and Devon will be working regular hours here in the great state of Washington, and I've been promised a night out while Grandma Donna takes a shift with the crazies her favorite grandchildren, and I do believe I'll even get to sneak out in the morning for a mani/pedi while Max and Lucy are having a play date with their friend Molly.
So, now, with the three monkeys amigos asleep upstairs, I will sit on my sofa and drink Kahlua and cream (Kahlua that Andrea made!) and watch one of the many entertaining shows that our DVR recorded for us this evening (should we start with The Office, or Grey's, or Big Bang Theory?), with my husband by my side, and I will cross my fingers that I will soon feel rejuvenated enough to handle the loud little people our offspring when Devon leaves again next week.
![]() |
| (the natural progression of trouble) |

6 comments:
Oh you're such a trooper!! I always wonder how single parents do it...don't you?! You're a great momma, you're too hard on yourself;)
I hope you have a great night out!! Well deserved;)
Not that I am laughing at you, but shushing the oven is kinda funny...
I'm *really* happy you have some kahlua left over and hope it helped ease your tired nerves.
You really are a great mom. Don't know how you do it for those days when Devon is away. I admire you and I love you.
Enjoy that date night and the mani/pedi!
This has so been how I've felt the last few weeks too! Joshua may not be traveling, but doing two jobs (even though one is at home) doesn't leave much time to spare. I feel ya on needing a break (as well as laughing with all of your "little loud people" references). I hope that your weekend is a refreshing one!
I'll be over this afternoon to rescue you (play with my favorite grandkids) and I hope you have a wonderful night out. See ya!
Annie, I had to chuckle too at the shushing. :) I have been there though and I really hope that today is all that you hope and dream for :)!
sorry so short...
you are really funny even in your misery!
I'm back just to say that the hooligans I mean your adorable kiddos :) are really super cute! Also, to suggest perhaps, an adult beverage on your date! I hope your toes are beautiful! Did you get a flower? :)
Post a Comment