I am sick.
I am on the sofa with a blankie and a box of tissues (and my laptop), and I don't plan to move from this spot for the rest of the day.
Do you ever keep yourself so busy that in the back of your mind you think If I was to get sick- catch a head cold or something- and feel so icky that no one would expect me to do anything all day but sit and moan, that would be kind of awesome. Not that I wished myself sick- I didn't go licking shopping carts handles or ask anyone to sneeze on me or anything. But I'm going to go ahead and say that today I welcome this head cold. My head feels like it might explode, but I don't really mind. Devon is beside me now watching football, and we all know that he isn't going anywhere, so I'm going to call him my nurse and make him take care of me. As long as football is on and he gets to watch, I'm pretty sure that he will do anything I ask him to do :)
For example, earlier I asked him to bake Trader Joe's crescent rolls for breakfast. He did it, and bless his heart, he didn't roll them to make them into crescents. He asked me, "How many triangles to do you want?" Triangles?? Silly Dev.
As I've been settling into our rental house, I've been rather obsessed with rugs. Our dining table sits on white carpet, so I obviously need something to go under the table, right? And our main living space- the room with our sofa and TV- has hardwood floor, so I obviously need something soft and warm for the kids to play on, right?
Finding rugs has been far more challenging that I could have anticipated. Realization: DUDE! RUGS ARE EXPENSIVE! I had no clue! So, I've been shopping the inexpensive options- Ikea, Ross, Fred Meyer, Target, and I've been searching the web- Overstock, World Market, Pier 1, Wal-Mart. I've even visited a few carpet stores to learn about the carpet remnant option. I've been completely focused and maybe neurotic.
I have bought and returned 6 rugs. Devon was annoyed at my indecision, and he somewhat refused to give opinions anymore because Does my opinion really matter? You are going to return the rug no matter what I say. He was right.
So, yesterday my search for rugs ended with the purchase of lucky #7 and lucky #8, which I found on Craigslist, meaning that they cannot be returned :)
And with my quest for rugs fulfilled, I can now be sick and happy.
Where am I going with this blog?
Ah, yes, Thanksgiving is this week!
In the spirit of giving thanks, I'm going to share some things that I'm grateful for this week.
TODAY, I am thankful for home videos. We don't record home videos as often as we should, and we don't watch them as often as we should, but I am still grateful that we have them.
This morning, Devon and the kids were in the extra bedroom, which houses our extra TV, and they were watching home movies from when Lucy was a baby. I listened from my spot on the sofa, and I loved hearing them laugh and give commentary on where we were at that particular time, and Lucy referred to her baby-self in the third person, "Why is she crying? Oh, she is singing a song! She is so cute!" I heard Joe correct her several times, "Lucy, that is you. That baby is you!"
I heard Devon throw out a mystery, "Lucy, where is Max?" She was quiet a moment, and then I heard her say, "I don't know."
I could hear Joe's voice coming from the videos, and it was a bit more high-pitched than it is now.
I heard myself singing "Ring Around the Rosie", and I cringed at the sound of my own singing voice- it is always so weird to hear yourself, you know?
Devon called, "Annie, you have to come watch with us- the kids are so little!"
I don't have to do anything- I'm sick! Remember? :)
But I did get up to go peek at them, and I grabbed my camera on my way.
Home videos are a treasure.What are you thankful for today? Warm socks? Leftover Halloween candy? The Amazing Race tonight??
And did I mention that it is snowing outside? What a great day to be sick!


3 comments:
How funny, the triangles. Oh, Devon, what were you thinking? Maybe he thought he was making scones?
Sorry you are sick. Or wait, maybe I should be consoling but not sorry. You did pick a good day for it :-)
I did hear about the rug obsession so I am glad that it has reached a happy unreturnable conclusion. They look great! But I also liked the first ones you had (I think it was the first ones I saw?).
I do find it very odd to see oneself on video and to hear one's own voice. Does that mean we see and hear ourselves other than we really are?
Glad you felt well enough to grab that camera on the way in to see the video.
Have a comfy Sunday!
Misery loves company right? I am sick too! I can't hear because my head is so full of...well...you know what, it hurts to swallow, I have a mega headache and remember that whole pink eye episode both girls went through? Yep. Game on!
I'm happy that you are being taken care of so well.
Know what is funny? I am obsessing over rugs too! My resouces are super limited here, so Overstock is my 'store' of choice, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I do like the ones you found on Craigslist - a lot...they look very Potterybarn to me :o)
Today, I am thankful for seat heaters in my car. It's only 30 degrees outside and those heaters made going to the grocery store much more bearable today. Now...I'm off to the couch, which I am also thankful for.
love you!
Annie! I am so in love with the rugs! I don't think your description over the phone held the proper enthusiasm! :) I LOVE THEM! So glad you pushed on until you got just the ones you wanted!!!
I totally get the whole, well if I was sick it wouldn't be that bad :). I know what it is like when life gets that busy! But after the months of sickness I went through, when I hear you girls talking about head colds I cringe :). Nope no sickies for this mama please! It's only a matter of weeks before my burst of energy and nesting turns back into a couch bound prego lady with no energy! :)
We are big on home videos around here! We take them all the time and watch them all the time! I wish I could join that little cozy bed party and watch yours! I want to see baby lucy and you singing to her! I agree about the whole hearing your own voice on camera...what is that all about?
I am thankful for my grandmas chocolate chip cookie recipe that I just made and devoured many :) a cookie. I am thankful for a stormy weekend that forced me to slow it down a little. I am super thankful for you. (points? :))! Oh and my new book Little Bee...it's sooooo good!
I hope you feel better! Sssshhh but not too soon! :)
Post a Comment