Does this ever happen to you? You wake up, drink your coffee, and then decide that this is as good a time as ever to call a big company, like, for example, Apple, to find out why they consistently take money out of your bank account for purchases, like, for example, iTunes, when you are certain that you didn't make these purchases, and you find that every single number listed under "contact" leads you to an automated machine that redirects you to online support, and you feel like you are stuck in a loop, never quite finding what you need, so you try one of the phone numbers, again, and go through all the motions until you finally say to the machine, "Can I talk to a REAL PERSON??" And after being on hold for 10 minutes, you finally do get to talk to a real person, but they transfer you to someone else, which results in another 15 minutes of being put on hold. And all the while, your youngest child is whining baba! baba! so you hand him a baba and think I'm supposed to wean him from bottles- it is on my to-do list. And your other child is giving specific instructions on which ballet DVD she would like to watch, but at the moment these instructions might as well be guiding you through brain surgery because it is all so difficult! Once the ballet situation is settled, it turns out that it wasn't a baba that the big baby wanted after all, so back to the fridge for a game of point-and-guess. It was yogurt- he wanted yogurt. Your caffeine is beginning to kick in, but you haven't eaten anything yet, so you notice that you are shaking a bit. At this moment you realize that classical music has never been so irritating, ever, so you must redirect the ballet dancing child to something quiet- just until you can settle this other business, and then you'll be a good mama for the rest of the day. You hand over coloring books and Crayolas, and these seems to please both children. Your husband enters the scene, dressed and ready for work, and asks if his tie matches his shirt, and you confirm that they match close enough. He informs you that the dishwasher is full and just needs to be turned on, but you thought that the dishes were already clean, so, oops, you gave Big Baby a dirty spoon for his yogurt... A quick goodbye and a quick feeling of I wish that I was the one dressed and ready to leave the house to go to a job for the day. Back to the kitchen, where one child needs a different coloring book, you know, the one with the purple? -again, instructing you through brain surgery- and the other child is now sucking on a green marker. His lips and hands are completely green, so you chase him to wash his hands before he touches the walls- the rental walls. And then finally, a human being picks up your call! You explain the problem, and he explains that your choices are to 1) send an email to Support, because Support doesn't have a phone line (of course they don't!) or 2) call your bank to report fraud and have your account number changed. Look over your shoulder, because your youngest has pulled the box of Lucky Charms out of the pantry, because the pantry is not child-proofed and is therefore completely accessible, and he has dumped out the entire box on the floor. I should buy healthier cereal. It is on my to-do list. You now chase that child out of the kitchen so that you can sweep up the cereal while finishing up the disappointing and completely unhelpful conversation with the human, and you notice that the little guy smells like poop. Ugh, why didn't you poop when your daddy was still home? You get off the phone, follow instructions to email Support and explain your problem, and contemplate in your head whether or not pursuing the mysterious $30 in charges are really worth your time and effort. You shake your fists at the sky, curse the big company, like, for example, Apple.
Okay, it is time to pull yourself together, and restart this day.
5 comments:
EXCELLENT blog!! Molly said it could it be the new Ipad apps???
I do know how frustrating phone loops are, trying to talk to a human who actually hears you....but then they don't really do they?
You can report the charges to the bank. They refund your money right away and then do the fraud check. I know because I have had to do this. It is faster too, but you have to go in to do it so maybe not. If only I lived closer....
I hope the reboot was succesful for your day.
Gosh, it's hard not to laugh at your poor, miserable morning...don't hate me okay because I am laughing out loud, as I read this for the second time today...okay?
I seriously hope your day 'restarted' and turned into a fabulous one!
I love you!!
Oh Annie, I am laughing too! :) You are hilarious and such a good writer! You are so funny! I wish this was my morning column to go along with a cup of coffee every day!
Seriously, LOVE the big baby! I think I am going to call him that forever now.
Now could you please be witty and funny again say around 7 a.m. tomorrow? :)
Oh man, that recap made me feel all stressed out just reading it! Um, yeah, on my top list of annoyances is when you just want to speak to a real person and it is utterly impossible!! Enough to drive a person to drink (another cup of coffee, that is!).
Post a Comment