Our rental house has been waiting for us. Clean and empty it sits. I've been moving trunk-loads of items (well, Lucy, Max and I have all been doing it, and you can guess how much help they provide!) since I first moved the beach towels, and today I took a large chunk of my wardrobe to my new closet, and this evening my mother-in-law and I assembled a bunk bed for Joe (it was a Craigslist purchase that the seller offered to deliver. Score!). So, there has been slow progress, and I should mention that until today my only moving supplies were two laundry baskets and a Costco diaper box, but Katie and Adam (and Katie's sister Betsy) hooked me up with boxes (thanks!). Now the real packing begins. Tomorrow morning we have a friend bringing a trailer to get started on the furniture.
Home is where our beds are, right? So, if my bed goes to the new house tomorrow, then I officially live in the rental house, meaning that I no longer live in my current house, making tonight my last night in this house. I can't get emotional about this house, because it is just a house, and also because I am too tired. I can't get emotional about this house, because I have too much work to do. But, if I were to let some emotions get involved, I'd think about how a family was built here, within these walls. Devon and I began our marriage here, and, of course, Joe was here too! I became a wife and a mom here. I climbed up and down the three levels with a big pregnant belly, and later I would climb all of the stairs while holding my sleeping baby, hoping that she wouldn't wake before I could put her in bed to finish a nap. And on these floors she learned to crawl and to walk, and she fell down the flights of stairs many, many times. In these rooms we made space for one more tiny person, our Bubs, who has grown to be a wild-child, determined to tear the walls down! And he always wakes up on the climb between the car and the bed! Within these walls it becomes quiet at night, and my husband and I are finally alone, until our babies migrate from their beds to our bed and get comfy between us. A king size bed is built for four, right?
Here in this house we've celebrated birthdays. We've decorated Christmas trees. We've cried and argued and yelled (yes, we argue and yell. Well, I do, at least. And Joe usually does too). We've been sick, we've made tremendous messes, and we've peed on the carpet (Lucy and Max, specifically). We've painted the walls yellow. We've never had the windows washed (in over 5 years! Not a single washing! Bad!). We've killed 7 mice (and to be fair, it has been a couple of years since the last mouse-sighting). We've eaten lots of pizza and lots of cereal.
We've lived in this house, and that is why I can't get emotional. That is why I need to focus on the fact that after 5 years, we've only payed interest on our evil mortgage. And the layout of our townhouse isn't ideal- Joe's bedroom is in the basement, separate from the rest of the family. And the laundry is also in the basement, which is a long way to transfer dirty clothes down and clean clothes up. Our front door is on a busy street, and today Max opened the door (it is usually locked, but today he found it unlocked) and ran toward the street, giving us a good scare. And I am tired of the yellow walls. And four toilets are really one- maybe even two- too many. The windows are quite dirty, and I live in fear that the mice will return. I focus on these facts, because I must now rest my head on my pillow and spend my final night here. I can't get emotional, because walls are only walls.
New walls await us.
8 comments:
I find myself getting a little emotional reading this last post in your house! However, I know that this new home will soon have it's own stories to tell of Max trying to tear it down, Lucy playing dress up, and Joe surviving jr. high!
Good luck with the move! I know that moving can be a total beating-so I hope it all goes well. Love you!
First of all your new walls look FABULOUS! I am guessing some sweet family memories can be made around that awesome fireplace!
Home is where the heart is, or where your children sleep, which in your case is a king size bed! So I am with you, home will be wherever you set that bed down.
I am really happy for you and I totally get the whole I am not emotional about leaving a home (but if I was this is why :)) feeling. It really brings me right back to a year and a half ago when we made the same move! All I can say is that we have never looked back and yup the new memories and experiences will fill those new walls! I totally understand if you need to get pregnant though so you can relive that experience in the new home! :)))
Happy moving!!! So glad you have some help!
Oh annie, we should talk! I admire you and your attitude.
Jami
Yeah to your new house! Your home is where you and your family make it. We've had a new baby in each of our last 3 homes, so I know the emotions of leaving where they were born, and where you became a family. But don't look back, new memories will be "born" in your new house and they will be great!
I can't wait to see your new digs! Really, I'm so excited, and you have a fireplace, really exciting, especially withtheis cold winter we're supposed to have. Let me know if you need a fireplace screen. Phil & Jax still have our (I think) and aren't using it. It's a really nice PB one that is scrolly. Similar to this one, but not...
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/aspen-triple-screen-fireplace-collection/?pkey=e%7Cfireplace%7C8%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C5&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
Let me know what you think.
You officially have a place to hang stockings!!
Okay, focus, focus, focus.
I am trying not to cry because I can 100% relate to ALL of your emotions...oh, buddy, can I ever relate!
You do have a great perspective on this move, and I bet once you are settled in, you'll slowly start to miss "those walls" less and less.
I can't wait to come up and see the new digs and try out that guest bedroom (how cool that Joe gets to keep his room when visitors arrive!?)...I'm trying to think of an appropriate house warming gift and I think I know just the thing to arrive with!!
Great post, Annie! Really, I loved it.
Sounds like you're going to be busy, and tired, and busy... I totally appreciate your sentiments that sometimes you are just too dang tired to bother with emotions, except that is often when I seem to get the most emotional!
I may someday need to refer back to this post when we decide to make the big move, which I know will probably happen someday in the next few years. Oh my gosh, we are so sentimental around here about all the things we have created here, and the hubby is maybe even moreso! It's a home, but you know what they say, home is where the heart is and your heart is ALWAYS with your family!
Good luck with all the moving stuff. I know it's a pain, but just think, you'll be home for the holidays! :)
P.S.
I think every house should have a fireplace with mantel. It should be mandatory.
It looks lovely!
Annie, I have to say after I left your old house last night, I was thinking, "good-bye old house" and remembering so much that happened there for me too. And I realized I would not be seeing it again since I am leaving soon to go visit my Aunt in Spokane who is having her 90th birthday celebration tomorrow. I felt a bit nostalgic I guess, instead of using the word sad. There are many wonderful memories (and photo ops) made in that house.
BUT you have new memories to look forward to in your new two level home with the gas fireplace and an actual Laundry Room. And an actual place for the babies to play out back.
It was really good for me to help assemble Joe's bunkbeds, since I feel a bit guilty about not being there to help with the kids or anything else this weekend. The next time I come see you all will be in your new home. Wherever you all are is home.
I LOVE YOUR NEW HOME!
Post a Comment