I fully intend to write about what I experienced and learned at the Women of Faith conference that I attended with my mom and my sister a few weeks ago. I hope to do this soon, and perhaps I've delayed writing about it because I am afraid that I just won't adequately convey how wonderful it all was- the venue, the music, the speakers, the messages, my fellow women of faith...
Or perhaps I've just been busy. Either way, I've decided to share a bit of what I've learned about labeling.
So, labeling. We do it all the time, right? We don't even know that we are doing it. It seems harmless enough- a label is simply a word, and it isn't even necessarily a mean word. I really took to heart the danger of placing labels on others, and I identified how much I, myself, do not want to be labeled by others. For example: messy, sloppy, chubby, lazy, controlling, noisy, picky. Those are all just adjectives, yet when we apply them to people as labels, it can be damaging and can truly influence one's self perception, especially if the one being labeled is a child. I've been trying really hard to change the way that I talk to my kids in order to avoid labels. I didn't realize how often I do it- "Joe, you are so lazy!" "Lucy, you are so messy!" "Max, you are crazy!!!!!!!!!"
I think that I will try to use only positive words as labels- what damage could be done if I influence my kids to believe that they are loving, nice, charismatic, and a whole bunch of other nice words??
Here is a little practice:
The thoughtful one.
The happy one.
The energetic one :)
(Maybe I shouldn't give chocolate to the energetic one!)
Anyways, it is something that I have been working on- the whole labeling-people-thing.
In other news, the Sweet One and the Affectionate One and I met Katie, Ethan, and Greyson at the mall this morning to play at the boats.
Me: "Katie, do you see Max anywhere?"
Katie: "Uh.... (looking)....yup, looks like he is getting some love on the top of the slide."
Me: "Oh no! He has her pinned!" (running to save the innocent girl from Max's aggressive affection)
Katie: "No, I think she has a hold on him too..."
My dear readers, this was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.
I'm not sure how this happened, but Max and his lady friend were as cozy as could be at the top of the slide, while other kids maneuvered around them, and while a few of us mamas pointed and giggled.
Isabella was her name, and she was so content with Max in her arms that she yawned and was near ready to take a nap right then and there.
Max just kept looking at me, with such a sense of peace in his eyes. I had time to meet Isabella's mom, have Katie hand me my purse, pull out my camera and snap a few shots at the spectacle. We asked each child if they were ready to go, and they both said no, they didn't care to move from this position. I finally had to pull Max off of Isabella, and the two parted ways.
A lover boy, indeed!
Devon called from work this afternoon and asked, "How were the boats? Did Max mount any kids?"
"Yes, and I have pictures!"

6 comments:
hahaha When i was on the phone with you i just skimmed but after really reading it.. this might be one of my favorite blogs of yours!! The pictures of max and his new friend cracked me up!! he's a lover no a fighter :) hahaha so cute!! and I love your kids new labels!! maybe we should work on nicer ones for eachother like instead of rude and lazy.. how about we are now.. organized and creative :) lol love you and your lovely little family :)
LOVED this blog and laughed so hard I was crying and almost fell off the sofa!! First, good job on the new labels!! Molly had good suggestions for you and her too! :) I can't wait to read about what else you gleaned from women of faith!! Secondly, lover boy is starting early!!! You are going to have to be on your toes with this one, they both look so content and comfortable and cute! They kinda reminded me of someone else I know who shall remain nameless...
Such a great blog!
That whole label business makes SO MUCH SENSE! I'm going to try and focus on the positive too - thanks for some thought provoking words buddy!!
On to the kids...
Joseph's hair looks awesome (that's what my bedhead looks like lately!)
Lucy is changing SO much! She is adorable!!
and
Lover Boy is hilarious - he's a hugger not a fighter :o)
miss you guys!!
(p.s. cute picture of your fellow women of faith-ers!)
I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!!!!!! This is the best post ever!!! OMGSH! Max is TDF!!!! He really is a lover boy!!! I really can't stand it, I know I already said that! But seriously, this was love at first sight!!! Way to go for having your camera in your purse!!!
I can't wait to hear more from your women of faith experience! What you have already shared is so profound! I know personally how much being labeled something can cut deep. If it's negative you never quite forget it. I try really hard not to label the kiddos either. I think the one I am guilty of is calling Maysyn shy. What's a good alternative? :)
Seriously, you had me crying, then laughing, then laughing so hard I cried!
LOVED IT!!!!
PS could Molly's legs look anymore awesome??? She doesn't even work out! Go figure! :)
Loverboy is still a good "label" for little Max. How sweet and I am so glad you got the pics of this.
Another "label" for Lucy...confident. It is also important how we think and feel about these words. It is not negative to have an opinion, for instance. But to say "opinionated" gives a different connotation, doesn't it?
Good job so far with your reporting.
Thanks for the comments, y'all!
Yes, Donna, exactly right about opinionated vs. having opinions. None of the "label words" are bad, but, for example, I could say, "Lucy really likes to make messes," rather than "Lucy is messy" and it doesn't brand her as messy. And the same could be said for Joe being sensitive- not a bad thing, but I need to be careful not to label "Joe is sensitive."
And Molly, yes organized and creative are much better words for us :)
Post a Comment