We decorated our (fake) Christmas tree a few nights ago, and we took pictures to document this tradition so that one day we can look back and say, "Oh look, the kids were so little, and that was our first Christmas in our beloved rental house, and Devon had the ugly mustache. Remember that Max and Lucy caused the tree to tilt because they put too many ornaments in one spot on the bottom branches?"
I wonder if these pictures will also remind us that I was really frustrated with Joe as he was being bossy to Lucy and Max because he was worried that they would break ornaments and ruin the tree, and I must have said to him about 100 times, "Joe only gets to worry about Joe- we'll worry about Lucy and Max", yet he continued to hover over them and hoard ornaments so that they couldn't touch hardly anything, and Devon was trying to keep the peace, (which can be annoying, but that is a whole different story), but there was no peace to be found, so I sarcastically offered to tie Lucy and Max to a chair so that they could watch but not participate, and then Joe said that maybe he should just go upstairs and not participate... Good grief.
The tree did get decorated, and it is beautiful, and all five of us took part in the hanging of the ornaments, and it only took about 10 minutes, and we smiled for the camera, and Lucy broke 2 ornaments and Max broke 1 :)
Maybe I should just post our pictures and build an illusion that all of our family memories are of love and hugs and the singing of Christmas carols, but I kind of like to remember that we are a normal family, and at the end of the day- or sometimes it isn't until the end of the week- we really do love each other!






5 comments:
Hooray for normal! :) Aaaaw Annie, I love these pictures and the recap. So funny because we still have to remind Tanner that he is not Kennedy's Daddy too! He reminds me of you in that way actually:). The oldest, super protective and with a strong opinion of how things should be done regarding his siblings! :))) Isn't it grand when it's supposed to be a "precious family moment" and someone is being sent to their room! :) Or in Joe's case sending himself! Good grief! :))) Thanks for keepin' it real!
I am looking into the the background of these pictures and just loving your house! All of your pictures look really great and I am loving the mantle! I want to see more! Maybe a walking photo tour for your readers?
From your pictures, I would have no idea it was a stressful decorating session :o) I get reminded to not hover too much too...we call it 'helicopter parenting' - maybe Joe's new nickname could be chopper (kidding!)
Your tree is beautiful and 3 ornaments down is not so bad all things considered!
You make me laugh. I always have loved your honesty and being normal is perfectly perfect.
Your hair is getting so long! I was peeking around your house too with Lisa and it does look great from what I could see :o)
It sure looks like Xmas and I am laughing at all the "normal" that went on while decorating. Can't wait to see it on Friday.
We decorated the apartment today and Ainsley kept wanting to play with everything, especially our tiny tree. I have this tree that Grandma gave me that is less than a foot tall, pre-decorated, and complete with small toys and packages to go underneath. She couldn't understand why I wouldn't let her play with it. :) All in all, I too have to remind myself that even decorating for Christmas isn't pure bliss when young kids are involved. But there's always a good story to tell later!
Love it! I'm all for keeping it real!!
P.S. I happen to be a big fan of facial hair- call me crazy! :)
Post a Comment