November 20, 2010

Can a Bulky Scarf Save a Marriage?

Do you ever read an article simply because the title is so preposterous?
This morning on MSN, you will find "Gifts That Will Keep Your Marriage Going," and if you are curious to learn about these marriage-saving gifts, as I was, click on the link and give it a read.
I'll give you a preview-

I am completely entertained by the silliness of this shopping guide, published by Esquire magazine, but seriously- here is what I'd say if Devon brought home some of these gifts:
"Ridiculously Good Linens"- "Wow!  These are fabulous!  Now, you have to tell me exactly how much you spent on these because if you didn't get them at, like, a Costco-amazing price, we are taking them right back to the store!"
"Agent Provocateur"- "Sexy lingerie!  Sweet! Beautiful! I'll bet that Max and Lucy will like it too, when they are in our bed, between us.  And I can keep in it this drawer right here, where all of my other lingerie lives, ever since our honeymoon..."
"Merry Maids"- (okay, I can't argue with this gift.  It is actually kind of awesome.)
"Cozy Scarf"- "Lovely! And so big and snugly, like a hug! It seems to hide all 'my humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps' (to quote Fergie)- do you not like my lady lumps?"  Uh-oh!

Devon and I often select and purchase our own gifts for ourselves.  I know, this isn't really how gifts are supposed to be selected or given, and someday we will do it the correct way, but until then, we don't seem to have the time or money for guessing games.  "Do you like it?  Do you really like it?  Is it exactly what you wanted?  We can exchange it if you'd like..."  I like telling him exactly what I want, and to ensure that he gets me exactly what I want, I'll go buy it and wrap it and write on the tag, "from Devon."  I know, I know, it is all so very backwards. 

In the past, I've dated gift-giving-type guys- the type who bring flowers, buy gifts, full of surprises.  I've even received a few awkward poems.  I love surprises, but I didn't fall in love with any of those guys- they just weren't my Devon.  Devon's love language is quality time, and within the next few weeks I assume that he and I will spend some quality time in retail-world selecting our own Christmas gifts.  Be still my heart!  It works for us, and our marriage is going strong, with no need for help from Esquire's gift guide. 

And to be honest, the lingerie does occasionally come out of the drawer :)

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Ridiculous!! I will have to read the MSN article myself, but I'm with you, only the Merry Maids sound good to me! Will comment more late after I wake up :)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

HA! Ya, pretty silly!!! I will comment more later too :) off to run errands before Doug goes to work.

Just Me said...

How silly, I'm sure an actual woman had no part in selecting these gifts. I like getting gifts I know someone will like, not wasting my time and hopefullness (do you like it? Really?) on gifts. So I will be getting a gift list from you soon :-)

Wilson Girlzz said...

My lovely lady lumps makes me laugh out loud! As does the lingere...oh wow...someday!!

We shop for ourselves to, it's what keeps the 'merry' in Christmas around here :o)

Allison said...

I agree on all points! Rob did gift me with Merry Maids, and I can honestly say that is was and still is the best gift EVER. We had to stop their services for a while due to lack of funds and I actually cried over it-dumb-I know. But I did miss them that much. Anyway...fun blog today!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

So funny because out I went to run my errands today and I found myself purchasing something for Doug to wrap and put under the tree for me! :) We try to do a little surprising each year but I am with you, there just aren't the funds to take any chances!!!

The bulky scarf does look pretty powerful...teehee!

The Merry Maids could do some damage though! No more honey could you clean the shower and the toilets? Instead maybe I would reach for the lingerie! :) Not that it would fit these days!