October 5, 2010

The Blog's Birthday; A Pity Party

Would you believe that today is my blog's birthday?  I'm not sure if it should be called a birthday or an anniversary, but either way, I wrote my first blog post on this date 2 years ago.

I brainstormed about how to celebrate the occasion and what to write about, but my creative juices weren't flowing.  Plus, a full day of mommying kept me busy until 10 minutes ago, when Lucy finally fell asleep on my lap.  Devon is out of town, and it is a circus act to get all three kids to sleep without our divide-and-conquer tactics.  A solo operation goes something like this-  make a bed for Lucy on the sofa, send Joe to bed to read for 30 minutes, use the 30 minutes to get Max to sleep, hope that Max is asleep by the time that Joe is done reading, pray with Joe and say goodnight, and then finally cuddle with Lu if she isn't already snoozing.  Tonight went according to plan, except that Max and Lucy followed me down to Joe's room to pray with him, and this is never a good situation because they try to play with his Legos, which makes Joe very uneasy.

Since Lucy is usually the last one still awake, I enjoy getting to snuggle with her without Max sitting on my head or pulling her hair.  I don't mind too much that she is a night-owl.  She takes after her parents, I suppose!

So, back to the birthday/anniversary, I think that my blogging abilities have been stifled today because I am bummed.  I don't like being home at night without Devon.  I get scared (yes, we live in the safest neighborhood ever, but still...).  And I don't like being a single parent.  And I don't like making the coffee in the morning or driving Joe to school.  And this trip, well, Devon isn't in Portland working his buns off, staying at a lame hotel by the airport.  No, Devon is in northern California on a "business" trip- he is staying in a fancy hotel with his buddies, playing golf on a fancy golf course, eating fancy food, getting fancy gifts from vendors, and worst of all, he got to hang out with my dad tonight. 

Am I jealous?  Yes.  Am I sad?  Yes.  Am I feeling sorry for myself?  Yes!  I want to do fancy things!  I could use a good night's sleep without Max's feet in my back!  I like good meals!  I even like golf!  I especially like California, and most of all, I like my dad! 

It's not fair!!!!

My day was not fancy.  However, I'd be lying if I said that there weren't a few highlights: The weather was nice.  I watched Mary Poppins with Lucy and her friend Molly, and Lucy sang "A Spoon Full of Sugar" all afternoon.  And Joe's softball team got their first win, but the kids and I missed most of the game because we arrived late, which was probably for the better since I spent most of our time there trying to keep Max from throwing rocks.  And since we lost one of Lucy's shoes somewhere between the car and the mile-long hill that we had to trek to get to the softball field, she had to stay in the stroller and could not join Max in his rock-throwing escapades.

And this is unrelated, but Max has an awesome black-eye.  The bruise is actually on the side of his eye, and I've been calling him Bruiser.  He fell at a playground yesterday and hit his face on a step.  I tried to get a picture of him lookin' all tough (or abused), but I didn't have any luck.  I'll try again tomorrow. 

Well, so much for being celebratory.  Welcome to Pity City- population 1. 

Besides, blogs don't really have birthdays  :)     


5 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLOGGY BLOG!!!! 2 years! WOW! Oh how I love your blog and find it a MUST READ! I get a little ancy when you don't post! 2 going on 20 years I hope! :)

Okay, back to you being ridiculously funny in your pity parade! Annie, there is no way to avoid pouting and (flopping on the floor if needed) being a "little" bugged that you will have to sacrifice all that you mentioned not nobly for a work trip but GOLF ?! Uggh! I am with you, I get scared, don't like to make the coffee, and I don't like it if Doug even sounds remotely chipper while away from home. Insult to injury is definitely the fanciness and the location and the company!

Oh and you are right, Kennedy and Joe are so much alike because as much as she LOVES her baby sister, if she even graces the doorway of her room she has a panic attack :)!

LOVE this post!!!! Cheers to your day being better!!! :)
One way to get that started in my opinion is treating yourself to a Caramel Machiato (?) and a chocolate chip muffin when you drop that Jr. Higher off at school!

comfy cozy said...

Happy Birthday, Blog! Seriously, two years already?? Where, oh where, does the time go?!

And I get it- these breadwinners sure do have it nice sometimes...
mine goes out to coffee and bagels every morning with his friends, or co-workers, while I'm lucky if I can even finish my cup...

And golfing just takes the cake, huh? I miss being out on the course, too! :)

Wilson Girlzz said...

I'm so in love with you!
You are witty, funny, loveable and even it the midst of a pity party you manage to make your friends smile.

I agree with Lisa - your blog is a MUST READ. Thanks for starting this whole party - you trend setter you!

Just Me said...

Happy Birthday Mama Rantz Bloggy Blog! I agree, a must read for me as well. Even your Pity Party makes me smile...and also sad. I can't believe two yrs have gone by since you started this blog.

If only I lived closer I could some help with the babies while you get out. I will be working on that even harder than before.

I hope today will be a good one!

Leslie said...

Well...Happy Birthday to your blog!!...I actually have a few thoughts that might help cheer you up! My thoughts: 1) The picture of you is absolutely stunning! I am a big fan :) 2)Your blog is a fountain overflowing with witty words! you have such a gift! 3) Your babies are precious and funny and such a source of joy! and once in a while... 4) You picked such a great husband that your family loves hanging with him! 5)Your mama loves you very much and will be there 3 weeks from tomorrow! ( and then again a month later for Thanksgiving!) 6) Personally I think you all should move to California and you would never be lonely! :)