August 7, 2010

What's in a Name?

I write about my life as a mom- a mom to Joe, Lucy and Max.

I don't really write about being a step-mom.

If you and I have talked about parenting, there is no doubt that I've talked your ear off about my life as a step-mom, and maybe even cried on your shoulder.  But when it comes to writing, I guess I don't know where to begin.  After all, this is a blog and not a book, and for me, when it comes to being a step-parent, there are so many avenues to explore, emotions to work through, and stories to tell, and I'm afraid to write about it.  I don't want to wrongfully represent this part of my life- this most challenging part, laced with love, of course, but certainly the chart-topping challenge of my existence thus far- a daily investment of truly everything that I have to give, yet my stepson's heart has always belonged to another woman.

And so I carefully open this door.

This summer has been different than the past 5 summers.  Perhaps it has been the counseling.  Maybe it has been the prayers.  Or it could be the perfect storm of many things, including the reality check that Joe has experienced, as he is just weeks away from turning 12, beginning middle school, and considering himself a "tween"- he is simply growing up.  The reality check hasn't been easy for him, but was inevitable .

And something has changed.
And the result has been a new name for me:  mom.

Isn't it just the most beautiful name?!!

Just "mom".  For three years I've been "Momakin", which was a step up from "Annie", but nothing quite compares to "mom".

It has been a really great summer :)

7 comments:

Leslie said...

I knew this day would come! Love, love, love it1 :)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

I am so proud of you!!! You are amazing!!! I am so glad you shared this Annie!

Just Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just Me said...

And you sure earned it!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Heck Yeah!
This makes me so happy :o)

I admire you...a whole heck of alot! :o)

Allison said...

Hooray! No one has worked harder for this name!

comfy cozy said...

Oh Annie! This is soooo sweet! I can only imagine how very complicated it all can be at times, and yet, how very simple too- for you both love each other and share a man and a life together. And because of your commitment, sacrifice, and love you are now simply called "mom!" This is HUGE, in my book! Worthy of a congratulations really! I am so happy for you and Joe is so blessed to have you as his mom!

Thanks for sharing Annie. This story makes me smile.