Once upon a time I fell in love with a man who carried G.I. Joes in his pocket and thought that Sunny D was orange juice. The G.I. Joes belonged to his sidekick- a 5 year old boy- who didn't have a bedtime and could quote lines from Kill Bill.
They needed me.
The three of us became a family. They made me a wife and a mom. They gave me a home away from my home. They filled my heart. They took my simple upbringing and shook it up a bit with terms like "stepmom" and "blended family." They pulled me out of my comfort zone and challenged me to try something different. Something difficult! Something that God surely orchestrated. Something that would change me. "If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies."
I needed them.
Tomorrow that boy turns 12 years old. For some reason, this feels to me like a special birthday. This one marks change- the beginning of the transformation from boy to young man. And the summer has been filled with growth and positivity for him, and the result has been the unification of our family, unlike anything we've experienced. And it has been a pleasure to watch him begin to change. And it has been a pleasure to be his mom.
But it hasn't always been easy! No! He is a boy and I am a girl. He is a child and I am an adult. He is messy and I like clean. He is loud and I like quiet. He is lazy and I am busy. He is extremely competitive and I am not. He doesn't like math. He pees on the seat. He wears socks when he goes to bed but kicks them off in the middle of the night and then waits until he runs out of clean socks before he pulls off his sheets to retrieve them. He was born to a woman who is not me. Sometimes we battle. Sometimes we cry. Sometimes I want to take my babies and run away and yell back, "Good luck with that boy!" But my husband listens to my rants, and he mediates as best he can, and he always looks into my eyes, with tears in his own, and begs, "Please don't give up on him. He needs you."
He needs me.
I need him.
Along with the challenges, there is so much good. He is such a good boy. He is funny and silly, and creative and talented. He is inquisitive- so curious!- about so many, many things. When we drive somewhere, he asks question after question about the most random stuff. Today he asked me, "Have you ever found money on the ground? How much? Why is George Washington on the dollar bill? Is it because he was the first president, so they have him on the $1.00? You know, #1? When are they going to put more recent leaders on currency?..." HUH??
He loves Lucy and Max so much. He gets so excited when he teaches them something new. He taught Max how to high-five, and Lucy is continually learning about "the force." This morning I found Joe and Lu cuddled up on my bed watching Star Wars. Lucy said, "Mom, this is my favorite movie ever." Oh really? Do you even understand this movie? I don't! One of Joe's daily chores is to babysit Lucy for 30 minutes. I am not sure who really benefits the most from this chore- me, because I get a short break from entertaining Lucy. Or Lucy, because she soaks up Joe's attention and adores him. Or Joe, because he can feel that he is becoming more responsible, and that he is looked up to by his younger siblings.
Joe stills plays like a child, which is something that Devon and I think is absolutely wonderful. Innocence is preserved! He plays with Webkinz (stuffed animals) occasionally, and I often hear him making sound effects when his Legos are in an intense battle. He is a Lego maniac. He will sometimes dress up as a ninja, or a gladiator, or a prince (when Lucy can talk him into it! A princess needs a prince!). He watches Tom & Jerry and Spongebob, and he wears dinosaur pajamas (though he was a little offended that I bought them for him!).
He will start middle school next week. He is so anxious for his voice to begin to change. He is nervous that he won't be able to unlock his locker. He is excited to wear his new "skinny jeans," which actually look like baggy jeans on his skinny butt!
I hope that he has a really great year. I hope that the work that he did on math this summer will help him in class and build his confidence as a student. I hope that he learns that it is okay to try something new and that it is okay to not always win. I hope that he makes good choices. I hope that he knows how much I love him. Everyday he seems to open more of his heart to me, and I am also opening more of mine to him.
Because he needs me!
And I need him!




10 comments:
Sniff, sniff, um could you warn a pregnant girl that you are going to make her cry before it's even 8 am? :) Oh Annie, how sweet, how touching!!! He's an amazing boy and you can attribute that to your love and parenting! Happy Birthday Joe!! I can't wait to see the skinny jean wearing middle schooler in action!!!
Sooooooooooo sweet! I just love that boy!! You are doing a really great job :)
Sniffling, tears running down my face. I am so happy for you all. Happy 12th birthday to my growing changing grandson who is so lucky you stepped into his life. I knew this day would come and am so glad it came sooner rather than later. Thanks so much for hanging in there.
Tears Tears Tears! You are doing an amazing job and I love your honesty. You need to get paid for this blog :)
Really, really, really sweet Annie!!!!
You all are so blessed to have one another! This tribute no doubt will just make him feel so special! You sure do have a way with words, my dear!
Happy Birthday to one lucky little boy!!!
And the tears are ROLLLING!!!
I know it hasn't always been easy, and I hope you know how much I admire your mommy-abilities in meeting so many different roles for your family.
You are awesome and Joe is awesome too - I love his imagination and his sound effects are one of a kind for sure!
The GI Joe start immediately made me remember that whole fireplace incident in Spokane at Adam and Jill's ;o) ahhh, good times!
Happy belated birthday to Joe!! We love him too!!
Ok I am needing to comment again cause I just read this to Ryan and he had tears in his eyes too. You are doing a great job and you should be so proud of yourself :)
Good luck with his first week of school!!!!!
Annie, this is so beautiful! You two were so lucky to have each other in this earthly life. It sounds like you blessed each other immensely and after hearing you speak at the vigil last night, it was definitely a match made from Heaven. So glad God gave Joe you and you to Joe. And even better, that you'll still get a whole eternity together! Love and hugs!! ��❤️��
I have never met you or your famil, but this is beautiful. My heart aches for your family. I was at work in auburn when I heard of the accident and prayed that the people involved were ok. I continued to follow the story and learned that your boys lost there lives and I'm so so saddened by this I too have teenagers and can not even imagine your pain! I too love Jesus, and will pray for you and have my church pray for you.
Dear Heavenly Father,
Please show these families mercy, give them the strength to get through every day according to your will. Father just wrap your ever loving arms around them hold them tight and give them some sort of peace. Father I ask of this from you you are a ever loving father and healer, heal there broken hearts, give them strength and comfort! Lord I just thank you for your love and your in our lives, Lord I praise you in my loving fathers name I pray Amen����
I am so, so sorry for your loss. This is beautiful. I pray mercy and grace for your family.
Post a Comment