January 27, 2009

Tuesday Tip!

I picked up a Parent Map magazine this week, and I came across some parenting tips that I cut out and put on my fridge. I think that Joseph would support these parenting resolutions 100%! I'd like to share them as my Tuesday Tip, and I'd like to share this picture of baby Joe when he was 6, and baby Annie when I was 25 :)





Nine for '09

Great Parenting Resolutions

by Katie McPhail


1. Wear your kid-colored glasses. Try to see the world the way they do, and don't be afraid to be silly.

2. Swear off swearing. Find a wittier way of venting your frustration.

3. Know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. Recognize when it's appropriate for parents to stay in the game; but on the less important hands, let kids run with the pot.

4. Practice what you preach. If you want your child to be honest with you, don't let them catch you telling lies--even to a door-to-door salesperson.

5. Try 'storytelling marketing.' Take a tip from advertisers--move away from the in-your-face marketing of values. Instead, promote your message more subtly with stories that demonstrate good choices.

6. Be a good "wing mom" (or dad). Take your child's side sometimes--don't always play devil's advocate.

7. Listen to your child's advice. Sometimes daughter knows best--even if she's only 5.

8. Don't be afraid to apologize.

9. Remember, some rules (or resolutions) are meant to be broken. A banana split for breakfast isn't the worst thing in the world.

4 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

Great tip and what a cute picture! I can't believe it's been like, what, 4 years already?! Time flies!

I have to give Q some credit here, he's the best "wing-dad." Elsie and he have this special bond that I can't even come close to touching...I'm all welled up just thinking about it...he's her buddy through and through. Love and Logic...that's his moto, and it really works!

I'm going to print these out and put them where I can read them every day!!

comfy cozy said...

Good tips! Especially the one about knowing when to just let your kids handle things. I have a feeling I will be a "hover-mom," always around and all up in Hanna's bizness. I will definitely have a hard time "letting go," even if she's just going for a walk in the 'hood! I can hear me already: "Hanna, watch out for cars, dogs, etc. Make sure your shoelaces are tied so you don't trip..."

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

I am totally commenting from Mama Rantz's living room! I love this Tuesday Tip so much! I want to make Annie slip into her adorable office and print me a copy!!

I especially love the part about listening to your child's advice. They really are smarties those kids!

My Tuesday Tip come late is come and be Annie's guest! It really is the best!!

Molly Andersson said...

aww i love these tuesday tips! i gotta remember these for when im a mom! your a great mama sissy!! :)