January 10, 2009

My Special Collection: Starbucks City Mugs


Time for show-and-tell! I started this collection when I was in college in Santa Barbara. I love Starbucks, and I love Santa Barbara, so the mug was a perfect union of the two! Since then, I have collected them from all over the country, and Europe too, and I have over 30 of them now!
While I was backpacking through Europe, I bought nine, and as my backpack got heavier, and as I had to throw out clothes to make room for more mugs, I realized that they were dumb purchases-- but I don't regret them now! I treasure those mugs from that amazing trip!
Most all of them hold special memories: our honeymoon in Maui, a trip to Boston with Andrea, my family's favorite vacation spot Palm Springs, my visits with Allison when she lived in San Diego... and some of them were gifts from places that I have never been, like Seth brought me one from D.C., and a girlfriend from California brought me one from Australia. Some of them I bought at airports on layovers, like St. Paul Minnesota. My mom says that these mugs don't count, but, hey, I think that I can say that I've been to St. Paul even if I didn't leave the airport!
Every morning, Devon makes and serves the coffee, and he carefully selects my "destination" for the day. It is usually Maui or Palm Springs (maybe I should rotate the mugs more often!). Sometimes he brings my coffee in a Seattle mug, and he loses points for creativity!
Only one mug has been broken, and, sadly, it was Santa Barbara!

What do you collect?

7 comments:

comfy cozy said...

I like your collection! How great is it that you moved to the number one place in the country that cosumes the most coffee?! So, now your collection is cool (or hot) and practical!

Hmm let's see, off the top of my head, I'd have to say that I have quite the collection of picture frames! They are all over my house and hold pictures of those I love dearly. Not necessarily practical but they make me happy!

comfy cozy said...

Oops, consumes- another reminder to always proofread!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Your collection is awesome! I wonder what destination I will choose when I visit? Hmmm I am thinking something European!!

I am not really a "collector" of anything. I throw a lot away. I am super sentimental though, if I get points for that! :) When I was Kennedy's age I collected EVERYTHING much like she does now.

The question is Annie...where will you go next?!

Just Me said...

I wonder if they have Starbucks in Mexico now. When we were there a few years ago there wasn't. It would be cool to have one that said "Cancun" or "Playa del Carmen." I love your collection. I collected magical creatures. It started being wizards only and then I got fairies and then I got a dragon so I decided to just call them magical creatures collectively. They are waiting for me in Seattle when I get back.

Annie said...

I think that my collection is complete, for two reasons: being a mom is really putting a damper on my jetsetting, and I don't think that Starbucks makes the city mugs anymore :(

Wilson Girlzz said...

Awe, the mug collection.
I love it!
Too cute that Devon STILL picks out your destination each morning!

It's now my personal mission to replace your Santa Barbara mug. I will find one!

Jacqui Lott said...

I thought that was really sweet about how Devon picks your destination too. Bonus points!!

My Aunt and sister have the city collection too. Helps that my sister's ex was a Starbucks Manager (and from England) and my step-dad is a pilot so they traveled a lot. I should ask her what cities she has! I know lots from Europe too.