December 18, 2008

Snowy in Seattle


We woke up this morning to a snow storm, and at the time I was excited because it was so pretty outside as I enjoyed my coffee and some Matt Lauer...

We bundled the kids up and took them outside to play. It was Lucy's first time playing in the snow, and she loved it!! She must have been so cold (I could have done a better job and added more layers of clothing), but she had the time of her life, and I took a bunch of pictures of the event. (She threw a fit when we brought her inside, and I have pictures of the fit too!)

Once we got back inside and watched the weather update on the news, we realized that we had better get a gameplan, because tonight we are flying to California for Christmas! The news expressed in very clear terms that if you can avoid being on the roads, stay home! Don't go to work, don't go to the grocery store, don't try to Christmas shop... Cars were sliding into each other, flipping over, getting stuck, and the roads were only getting icy as time passed and the snowfall wasn't slowing down at all.

As a side note, I am a bit confused about the mass hysteria that comes with snowfall in Seattle. I understand that the driving conditions are NOT ideal, but doesn't it snow on a regular basis in the winter in places like Denver, Boise, Salt Lake City? Do these cities come to a halt like Seattle does??

Anyway, we thought we'd better get moving! After a quick pack, a quick lunch and a prayer for safety, we put the car in 4 wheel drive and set out on our way to the airport.

We were feeling pretty good about arriving safely, 6 hours before our flight was scheduled to leave!!! The line to check our bags was loooooong, and we stood in line for 2 hours. I arched my back and rubbed my belly as much as possible, looking for a bit of sympathy for a pregnant lady. There was no sympathy to be found!

So, here we are, at gate B8, waiting to depart on our flight that has been pushed to 10:30. Lucy is asleep, Joseph is playing with Legos, Devon is watching a basketball game and playing with his iPod, and I am blogging :)

What a day! I feel like Tom Hanks in that movie where he lives at the airport...

8 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Hi gate B8! I am so happy you on on your way here! I feel like I am right there with you at the airport! Can you believe I am up this late???

C u tommorrow!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Are you in Cali???
I hope you made it safe and sound and I am SOOOO impressed with what good travelers Joe and Lucy are!

I miss you, I mean, really, really, really miss you...I'll call you soon!

Give the Millers, Rantzs and the BELLY some hugs from me!

Just Me said...

What travel warriors you guys are! I assume you are nice and warm and comfy now with the Millers. Regarding the snow, I have never seen anywhere get so freaked out about snow like Seattle does. I was telling people here how when it snows at all in Seattle or even hints of snow the news people freak out and everything on TV is devoted to the snow. Here it snows every winter, there is snow on the ground as I speak, has been here a week or so. Everyone goes about their lives as usual. I think because they get it every year they are more prepared than Seattle people are. But still....

Annie said...

Yes, we are safe and warm in California now! Our plane landed at 12:15am, and my dad was there to take us home. Joseph slept on the plane, but Lucy was awake, and they both stayed awake until we put them to bed at 2am!!! WTH??
They are excellent travelers, and I am so grateful :) And I usually fly with the kids alone, so it was very nice to have Devon with us this time-- it was a team effort to get through our crazy day at the airport!!

comfy cozy said...

Blogging from the airport- sounds incredibly cozy and straight out of the movies! What good kiddies you have!

Glad you all are safe and sound and ready for the holidays at your parents'. Hmmm, let's see, you girls could bake some balls today! Have fun!

Doulos48 said...

Annie-
Glad you are safe! and that the flight went well with Lucy....Reese is not an excellent flight companion so you are lucky. I would love to get togeather while you are here. Call me and you me and Lisa can plan something if you have time. 916-372-1602. I have a gifty for baby.....just a little something.
Hope to see you whil you are here.
Kristy and Reese.

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

OK I LOVE that the news stops everything and covers the snow and the happenings around town! I would have so much fun with that. SO DRAMATIC! You know I would be glued to that news.

Hello??? You said you took pictures of Lucy in the snow and Lucy throwing a fit but you didn't post them...WTH? That's okay I did get to love on her today but your readers want pictures!!!

I am so glad your here! Come get your fancy new sweater!

Just Me said...

Yes we want pics of the before and after fit. Do I have to wait til after Xmas til you are back home to get news and photos??? :-(