November 5, 2008

What Would Elisabeth Do?

The View was a love fest today, following months and months of election conversation and heated debates. The entire table is usually arguing with Elisabeth (the outspoken Republican/McCain supporter), and she has fought back day after day.

This morning Barbara Walters turned to Elisabeth and said, "All eyes are going to be on you. How do you feel?" Her answer made me cry for three reasons. 1) I am extremely hormonal. 2) As a parent, I get emotional when I think of sharing important moments and conversations with my children (as Elisabeth shares with her daughter Grace), and 3) I agree with what she says.

I didn't vote for Obama. I don't know what he is going to do right, and I don't know what he is going to do wrong, but I am hopeful!

This is Elisabeth's quote:


I woke up this morning, and I put Grace on my lap, and we watched Barack's speech last night, and as we sat there she said, "That's Barack Obama," and I said, "Yeah, Grace, it is. He won the election, he is our next President of the United States of America-- he's going to be our President." And she said, "He won, that's cool. Who lost?" And I looked down at this little face, with her big cheeks, and I said, "You know what, Grace? No one lost today." Today, seriously--and God knows I fought hard on the other side-- but today is a victory for this country to have Barack Obama be our next President-- the first black President, the first black First Lady and family, to have the amount of voters-- 14 million more voters in this election than the last present themselves and vote for their country-- today is a victory-- I haven't felt this good throughout this entire election process... What a day, it is emotional to hear him and to see the people he's been able to affect and the power that he has. I will get in a long line of supporters, because I wasn't at first, but I will jump in that line and support our President because that is what, as an American, I believe we should do.

5 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

WWED...
I love the quote.
Thanks for posting it.
She is the greatest and I support her logic in being an American and supporting our leader.

It is pretty amazing to see the first AM president voted into office in such a grand fashion. Did you hear that Collin Powell wept with Obama's victory? WOW.

comfy cozy said...

I'm jumpin' in line to! Truly historical and I love what Elisabeth had to say as well.

This may just be extremely controversial, but I'm going with it: does anyone else feel that ol' Barbara is, well, let's just say, old? As in, may be too old to be on the show anymore? I realize she likes the mother hen role, but maybe she should join Bill in a more behind-the-scenes fashion?

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

OK so I am crying again and I am again inspired! Way to end the day on a positive note Annie! I loved what Elisabeth said and I was surprised she didn't start crying.


Barbara is painful to watch sometimes. I love old people so much but c'mon Barbara can't keep up!

Doulos48 said...

ANNIE
So glad you poted un update on the view, I missd it and was going to ask if anyone had seen it.......well no need. Wow I love Elizabeth but she doesn't always make her point very well but this time she did an amazing job and yes I joined the cryfest while reading it. Isn't it amazing how when we have to explain things to a child what is really important comes to light? HMMMMMM.......

Annie said...

Yes, Barbara Walters is ancient (but her skin is nice and tight!)! My mom and my mom-in-law read her biography, the highly publicized "Audition," and said it was very interesting... I've considered picking it up. If I do, I'll make sure to report back to y'all.
But in the meantime, the show floats without her at the table!