
This morning we awoke to a glorious, dark rain storm. Those of you in sunny California would have been jealous! Joseph came up to the living room and said that it feels like Christmas. He asked, "Do you think that Lucy knows the real meaning of Christmas?" My answer was that, No, I am pretty sure that she has no idea what Christmas means. "I think that I should teach her, " he said.
He walked over to where she was sitting on the floor playing with her toys and sat down beside her and said, "Lucy, you know Jesus, like, from the song Jesus Loves Me?"
Lucy looked up at him and said yes. I thought to myself, Hmmm, this should be entertaining.
Joseph continued, "Well, it is almost Christmas time, and Christmas is Jesus' birthday!" The look on his face was so sincere, like he really believed that she was taking in the information and would understand what he was teaching her.
She looked up at him and said, "Oh, Dora and Boots." Completely unrelated to the topic at hand.
He was undeterred. "No, not Dora and Boots. Do you remember my birthday? We had my friends come to the house and we made banana splits. Do you remember?"
No response.
"Remember, my friends and I went across the street to play on the playground? It was my birthday."
Silence.
"Well, you should know that Christmas is Jesus' birthday. That is what Christmas is about."
Ahhhhh, good effort Joe!
6 comments:
AAAAHHHHH!!! Yay for Joe! That is the cutest stinkin' story I have ever heard!!! He really is a wealth of knowledge and very patient! What a good boy!
Thanks for putting me right there--I could visualize the whole thing! Complete with Lucy's hobo outfit?? I hope!
PLEASE send some of your fabulous weather this way! Ba hum bug around here in sunny California!
PS your readers want to see pregnancy photos and soon! Preferably in front of oh I don't know.....a bay window with water cascading down?!
Yes, Lucy was in full hobo outfit with one shoe on!
Okay, I'll try to get a belly shot in front of the window!
Good goin' Joe! What a great big brother you are and I can just see it all happening. I wish I could have actually seen it happen. Anyway, they actually lit the Christmas tree this evening in Overland Park, Kansas. Isn't that so early?
Oh my goodness! I LOVE the narrative- I was right there in your living room watching it all unfold. Your living room was so cozy with the rain pelting the window. What was that I was drinking? Oh, yeah, hot cocoa with marshmellows...okay, I'll stop!
Yes, yes, your readers want belly pics! I plan to live vicariously through you for now since Danny informed me the other day that he hopes "the children" (note: plural!) are close in age. He said, "I figure you'll be pregnant again in 7 months!" So, I want to hear more about the avocado...you know, just in case.
It's hard to type when your teary eyed! Joe is such a sweet, kind, loving big brother (I'm sure ALL of the time too! wink wink)
Seriously, his little lesson on Christmas is precious. I'm glad you have the best memory of any one I know because you can remember that one forever!
I bet Lucy got it...in a few weeks, she'll probably make a random comment where she refers back to what Joe said. Kids are amazing like that!
I am totally in for the belly picture! Any feelings of blue or pink??
Post a Comment