November 11, 2008

Tuesday Tip!

I've been thinking all day about what tip I'd like to pass along, and I've decided to share the book that I've enjoyed the most this year, Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas and Micah Sparks. I picked this book up off of my mom's bookshelf last July because I needed something to read while I sat by her pool, but two days later, after having barely looked up from the book to hold a conversation, change a diaper, help with meals, etc., my mom said that her bookshelf was now off-limits! This book consumed me-- I laughed, I cried, I cried, and I cried.


You should all be familiar with Nicholas-- he has written many top-selling novels, including a handful that have been made into movies, like The Notebook. Who doesn't love The Notebook? I have read a few of his novels (and seen most of his movies), and they are light, easy-read, love stories, but Three Weeks With My Brother is different. It is his memoir, and he has lived quite a life!


The book follows adorable Nicholas and his very handsome brother Micah as they take three weeks to travel around the world with a tour group. As they prepare for the trip, begin traveling, and then return home, they move in and out of past memories that ultimately tell the story of their childhood. I really don't want to share too much, because I want you all to read this book, so I'll wrap up by saying that their successes have been inspiring, their tragedies have been heartbreaking, and their story is one worth sharing!


(I am currently reading Sparks' The Choice, and so far so good!).




Hold onto your seats, because I have another tip! I have had so much success with Craigslist-- buying concert tickets, furniture (particularly from Ikea! I'll never buy Ikea furniture from the store again!), etc., as well as selling furniture, and this morning I got the idea to search for toy horses for Lucy. She is obsessed with horses, and every time that we leave the house she asks to ride on a horse's back. I am not sure if she is hoping for a real horse, like the one at the pumpkin patch, or a carousel horse at the mall. So, I was determined to bring some other type of horse into her life. Anyway, I found a steal of a deal, and tonight here sits in my living room a nearly brand new horse that Lucy has named Happy. Happy's previous owner is a four year old girl who is also named Lucy!! Was this meant to be or what? Would you believe that Happy only set me back $20?

I promise that Lucy is far more excited about her new horse than she looks to be in this picture. She is the most uncooperative photo-taker on the planet.


As Devon, Joseph and I sat on the sofa and watched Lucy rock on Happy and push the buttons on her ears that make noises and make her head and tail move, Joseph said, "It is really fun to see Lucy have fun." Exactly! I couldn't help but take the opportunity to say, "That is what is fun about being parents! We enjoy it when you have fun!"


So, my tip is to check Craigslist for those items that you are planning on investing in for xmas, because you might find something nearly new for a fraction of the price, and these days everyone is on a budget, and our motto in the Pacific Northwest is "Reduce, Re-use, Recycle"! I really should have saved Happy for a Christmas gift, but I couldn't wait!


One more picture-- after we ate dinner, Lucy wanted to feed Happy, so she ran, literally ran, back and forth from her little kitchen (in our big kitchen) to the living room, bringing food to the horse. Once she felt that she'd transported enough goodies, she sat down and fed Happy. I love 21 months-- it is such a fun age (though all ages have been fun!!)!






3 comments:

comfy cozy said...

Great post, Annie! I love the stories you tell of Lucy- she really is adorable! So, I have two things for you: the first is that I too borrowed that book from my mom's bookcase. It is an amazing book! So, great tip and I second that your readers should really check it out.

Also, Hanna has that same exact horse in her room! Although she's not quite sure what to think about it yet. Gotta love the noises and tail shaking! My mom got all the grandkids one last year for Christmas- even Hanna who was a mere two months in tummy!

P.S. We are headed out of town for the day so I will be checking in tomorrow with all you ladies!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Annie I love this post!! I am super inspired! I will definitely be reading that book and I am laughing out loud thinking of you being banned from your Mom's "library".

Lucy is so cute and I hope Happy knows just how lucky he/she (?) was to get such a loving owner! I can't believe all of these meaningful connections that you are making on craigslist. Another Lucy?! I was so inspired that I went on craigslist in search of a "new to you" Christmas pony for Maysyn and I found the same one for you guessed it 20 bucks! If the previous owner was a little girl named Maysyn then I think we have the makings for one of those Hallmark Christmas movies! You can be the star!!

Tuesday Tip Extravagaza!!! Good job Annie!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Lucy's new horsie is perfect! Could she be any cuter? I really love the picture of her feeding Happy (great name!) she's so wonderful! I am sure Happy will be loved 'til his little ears fall off. AND...way to go Joe - very insightful for such a wee lad (ha!) I'm glad he enjoyed watching Lucy be so happy, that is really great he made that connection - it is what keeps me going as a parent.

I am glad to have another great book to add to my list. I'm also happy that the title didn't imply that his brother died within three weeks (at least I hope it doesn't go there!) I guess I'll have to read and find out for myself!

Nice tips!
As Lisa once said "it's a Tiptopia!"