November 5, 2008

History



President Elect Barack Obama-- what do you all think?

As I watched McCain give his concession speech, I felt sad for him. No one likes to lose. However, I really liked that he rallied his Republican supporters to now support Obama. I'll admit that I cried just a little bit, just because it was moving--not because I was sad (Devon might think that I was crying because the Republican candidate didn't win!).



How amazing was it to see 500,000 people waiting in the park in Chicago to see Obama speak? What a crowd! And the crowd at Times Square? That isn't usually an Election Night party place, right?


Was anyone else moved to see the Obama family take the stage? Or when he thanked his "best friend of 16 years, " his wife? More tears.


Devon and I were watching the 11pm news from bed, and we saw thousands of people celebrating in downtown Seattle. I asked, "What is going on in Seattle? What are all of those people doing in the street? Why aren't they in bed?" Devon said that they are excited-- this was a historical night, and all of these people feel hopeful that we have a new leader. I think it is cool to see people feel hopeful. I feel like we haven't seen hope in a while, you know?


My bank account sure hasn't seen hope!




10 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

Good post - I feel the same way you do about hope. If that is what America needs right now, then I'm for it.

I was in bed sick, so I didn't get to watch any of the drama, the speeches, or the 500,000 in Chicago rooting on Obama - that is amazing to me (think about how cold it is in Chicago right now!)

I'm sad for McCain too - I think he did his best. I sort of felt like Obama was going to win all along, who knew how much of a win it was to be though!?

Which brings my to my next blog...what is up with the electoral vote? UGH!

Here's to HOPE...for all of our bank accounts!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Annie, I love that you have this picture of President Obama and his family because it was actually my favorite part of the night! I loved his speech I couldn't help but think about these two little girls growing up in The White House. I loved when he said that the girls had earned the new puppy that would be moving in with them! What a life!

I felt so sad for John McCain as well and felt like the election was over before I got to cast my vote 6 p.m. western!

I was amazed at the Chicago and New York scenes! Even though I voted for McCain I felt so proud of my country. I thought that we were still too racist a nation to elect a AM president. Which I know isn't the main issue but as Annie pointed out HISTORICAL!

Loved the shout out and the kiss for the new First Lady!

Here's to hope in my bank account too!!!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

P.S. Andrea: I am really looking forward to your electoral college blog because I am bugged! It confuses me so much! Did my vote count???

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doulos48 said...

I second the frustration with the Electoral vote......my hubby (the research maven) has been looking into it all week and it just doesn't make me confident in our democratic processes. Anyways Lisa my hope is that Mr. Obama will play it middle of the road and God help us if we start to resemble anything like a socialist government, didn't we declare independence from Brittan for that very reason? .........I am buying a gun sooner rather than later.
PS my other hope is that we survived clinton and he was not only a Democrat but he was a shmarmy cheater with no morals and I like to think Obama has a few more morals than good ol Bill. He has to make the country good for his 2 little girls.......right?

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Yes I deleted my comment! Crazy....I know! I would just like to refer back to my comment from this morning.

I am keeping hope alive!!!!!

I know----total dork! I feel better though.

Wilson Girlzz said...

totally petty comment here -

Do Michelle Obama's legs look odd to anyone else? Her stance is SUPER wide!

Annie said...

Devon thinks that Michelle is a giant!
And her dress was rough last night. Can I get an amen?

comfy cozy said...

Annie! I couldn't access your newest blogs today until I went into it through Lisa's. And 8 comments made me panic...what is going on?!

Alright, I'm here now ladies! I totally agree with everything you all said. I couldn't help but to feel the fresh start in the air today. It was tangible actually! I am holding out hope that my pocketbook and the economy will benefit from Obama. So, cheers, cheers! I was even extra dorky yesterday and grabbed the ol' video camera to capture Hanna in front of the television!

Andrea, your comment on the legs was HILARIOUS!!! So observational. Yes, very wide stance!

Just Me said...

I was very excited watching that huge crowd in Grant Park in Chicago. Hope indeed! I do agree about the dress. My first thought was that it was very unflattering to her. In fact it sort of drew my attention away from what was happening a bit, thinking why did she wear that dress? She is a good looking woman but that dress made her look wide. Not a nice comment but I am glad to see others may have had the same thought.