You see, I've often explained to Devon that it is a real "turn on" for a woman when a man does housework. In fact, I once saw a humorous book at a gift store called Porn for Women (Yes, I threw the "p" word out there!), and the book was full of pictures of men mopping floors, dusting, folding laundry... This book confirmed that I wasn't the only woman in the world who really appreciates help with housework!
Anyway, Devon vacuumed, Joseph helped with dishes, and Lucy followed behind all of us and continued to make messes. Lucy plays "pretend," and we love to watch her. She has a paper doll house with paper dolls, and she is so cute as she walks the dolls through the doors, puts them in their beds, and has them talk to each other. This was a hand-me-down from Aunt Molly, and, Molly, Lucy loves it! Also, she put a baby doll in her booster seat at the table and then prepared a meal for her baby, and then climbed up to feed the baby (I know that this picture doesn't look like she is safe and secure on the table, but I was watching closely!).
Joseph had multiple play-dates with neighborhood kids, so he was in and out of the house, but Devon and I stayed in and were entertained by Lucy
I've had some furniture listed on Craigslist, and a lady and her husband came over on Saturday night to purchase a chair and ottoman. They were so sweet, and they gushed over Lulu (which we've all confirmed is a sure sign of a nice person, right?). While the men were loading the furniture, the woman sat down with me and told me that their daughter has been living with them, so all of their furniture has been blended, but the daughter is moving out in two weeks when she gets married, so now they have to replace the furniture that she is taking with her. THEN she continued on, sharing that their daughter was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer when she was 32, and she was only given 6 months to live. That was 4 years ago, and though the tumor is still in her brain and is growing, she responded really well to chemo and is a fighter. Wow! Okay, but the story gets more amazing! While she has been fighting for her life, she met the man of her dreams! She is getting married to him in two weeks! Wait, it gets better! For a reason not related to her cancer, she was told that she would never be able to have children. Well, the man that she is marrying has 4 sons (ages 3-16)! At this point, I am sitting across from this stranger with tears in my eyes, kind of embarrassed that I can't pull myself together (these darn hormones!), and I cried, "I am a step-mom too!" I was really touched by her story, and I nearly hugged her as she walked out my front door. It is nice to know that my chair and ottoman are going to such nice people!
I'm hoping that this blog helps me overcome my blogger-block-- I just haven't felt inspired to post anything!
8 comments:
Annie consider your blogger's block banished! I love this post and I love the pictures of Lucy!!! She is so stinkin' smart and nurturing! She is a mini Annie. My favorite picture has to be the one where she is feeding her baby!
Husbands cleaning or cooking is the biggest turn on around the Blake house too! Throw in a patient "warm and fluffy" attitude even if he loses his keys or is running late-- kids the door will be locked and the fireworks will be in full effect!
Your craigslist story is so amazing, inspiring, and SAD! I love it and it reminds me to be content and happy with what I have and feel very blessed! I love it when you meet extraordinary people under random circumstances! Bonus: your first "at home pick up" worked out to not be a mass murderer! Awesome! You really should have thrown in the couch for free don't you think??? Ha Ha just kidding!!!
Annie! You were missed! Great blog and the pic of little mommy Lucy is sweet. It's a good sign that she takes such good care of her babies! What does it mean for me that I used to enjoy chopping off my barbies' hair? Hair stylist in the making, maybe?
Here, here to men and housework! Funny, just last week Danny decided to dust the whole house and (bonus) grab the cobweb duster and de-web everything! All by himself!
I love the story! I appreciate the perspective it gives- to appreciate life! Sometimes I need those reminders to not stress the small stuff! I'm happy to see your chair and ottoman go to such a good home!
One more thing...can you say overuse of the exclamation point in the above comment?! It's a bad habit of mine and sure to lose all credibility when something is extra exciting! (ha-ha)
Thanks Lisa!
We are hoping that Lucy's nurturing side is a sign that she is going to be a great big sis!
Yes, there are fireworks when Devon decides to get to work on the house! Lock that bedroom door!
The Craigslist story made me feel blessed too. I want that lady's daughter to tell her love story to the whole world-- finding love while living with terminal cancer and becoming a mom to mother-less boys... it is too much!
Wow, while I was responding to Lisa's comment, Sadina was typing too!
I think that I overuse the exclamation point-- I actually re-read my comments and try to minimize the exclamation points before I post them!!
I loved my Barbies, but I cut off their hair too. I'm sure that Lucy will be inspired to "restyle" their hair someday too.
Way to go Danny! Extra points for cleaning up cobwebs!
Lucy is so flippin cute, I think she will make a great big sis. And here here to men being domestic! Erich always folds our laundry....now if I could just get him to put it away. I was touched by the craigs list story and encouraged that you sold your stuff cause I am going to sell my sofa, chair and ottoman on there....I just hope I get the encouraging heart felt mom type and not the mass murderer type, maybe in my post I should clearly state "Creepy mass murders need not respond" Would a creepy person want a Pottery Barn living room set? gee I hope not!
I always overuse the exclamation point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just want ya'll to know that I am excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a great, heart warming blog! Yeah for you and coming out of your slump - I am in dire need of a new update. Let's just hope I can come up with something as stellar!
I too often think, 'man I way overuse the !' but then I think, 'whatever! I'm just excited!'
Post a Comment