Dear Mom,
I really hope that I was nice to you when I was a teenager. I hope that I didn't roll my eyes at you or ignore you or do that loud sigh thing. I hope that I never made you feel unappreciated.
I probably did do all of those things, and I am infinitely sorry.
Teenagers are so rude.
Isn't it weird that cute, little kids become edgy, self-centered, know-it-all teenagers who take out their angst on those who love and care for them the most- their mothers? It's just not fair!
It is only a coincidence that Mother's Day is right around the corner as I write this very heartfelt note, but there really isn't a better time to say thank you for enduring my teenage years. Thank you for disciplining me when I needed it- gosh, did you ever think I'd say that? Thank you for knowing where I was at every moment of every day. Thank you for taking an interest in my friends. Thank you for regularly taking me to Chevy's for dinner, where you would somehow get me to open up and talk about "stuff" over chips and salsa. Thank you for not letting me date until I was 16- again, never thought I'd say that. Thank you for not allowing me to take rides home from school with those older boys- nope, you were there after school, everyday. You were really great.
Now that I have a teenager of my own, I am trying to do everything the way that you did it, but it is really hard, and, to be completely honest, it stinks sometimes. Not sure if I will survive the next 4 years, so in case I don't, I just wanted to let you know that you parented with grace, and I love you very much.

4 comments:
You have me in tears! You are welcome and forgiven! haha :) Hang in there honey, motherhood is definately a labor of love! Many times a thankless one, but the difference you are making in his and all of their lives will be it's own reward! Love you so much!!!
...and honestly, you were a pretty good kid! :)
Tears here too!
What a sweet, sweet letter!
I agree, your mom is pretty dang-darn-wonderful!!
Post a Comment