November 11, 2011

This One Time in Berlin...

Did you know that November 9th marked the 22nd anniversary of the day that the Berlin Wall came down?  No?  I didn't know either.  I was reading the news online and this little tidbit of info caught my attention and sent me on a little trip down memory lane to the time that I embarrassed myself in Berlin....

In 2003 my friend Eryn and I backpacked through Europe. I'll admit that I am not much of a history-buff, but give me some irrelevant celebrity trivia, like the name of J. Lo's first husband, and I'll knock your socks off.  Ask me something that I should have learned in a history class, like Who was Marie Antoinette? and I'll give you a blank stare.  Needless to say, traveling through Europe was like a history class on steroids.   

Berlin was the second to the last stop before we returned home.  Eryn and I joined a walking tour of the city on our first day there, and it was a pretty good sized group of young people, like us.  As we walked, the guide would tell detailed, animated accounts of the significance of each site, each beginning with Right here, where you are standing,...  or In this building that stands before us...  and I was fascinated.  

Our group seemed to ask several questions, linking what they had already known to what they were experiencing in the city.  Eryn and I didn't ask any questions.  I can't speak for Eryn, but I didn't have any questions to ask because it was all new information to me- I was simply soaking it all in.

You are now standing before the Brandenburg Gate.  It is one of the most well-known landmarks in Berlin and Germany...    It is the only remaining gate of a series through which Berlin was once entered...  When the Nazis ascended to power they used the Gate as a party symbol...  From this gate, on June 12, 1987, U.S. President Ronald Reagan spoke to the West Berlin populace, addressing Mikhail Gorbachev, "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

(Yes, I used wikipedia to collect all that info.)

(And this pic is from wikipedia too)
And just beyond the gate, on the right, is the famous Adlon Hotel.  The Adlon was one of the most famous hotels in Europe between the two World Wars...  More recently, just last year, Michael Jackson infamously dangled his son "Blanket" out one of the hotel's fourth floor windows...

And then it happened.  I couldn't stop myself.  I let out an audible dramatic gasp along with a shocked No way!  Then entire group turned to look at me, including Eryn, and after a few moments of awkward silence the tour guide sarcastically said, "Oh, hello!  Welcome to the tour!  I'm glad that I could provide you with something that you find interesting."

I felt like Such. A. Dummy.

"It's just that the Michael Jackson thing was a pretty big deal back at home, in the U.S.  You know, it was, like, on the cover of People magazine and stuff...  (fade out to mumbling)"

(Gosh, you can find everything online...)
"Well, then, would you like to take a photo of the hotel?"

"Yes please."

(photo also taken from Wikipedia, but my photo looks nearly the same)
And there you have it.  A very embarrassing moment.  I was silent for the rest of the tour. 

Berlin was easily one of my favorite cities to visit in Europe, and I hope that I can go back someday and not do something embarrassing.


7 comments:

Molly Andersson said...

hahaha! Sissy this cracked me up!! I loved this blog it feels like a history lesson and some fun pop culture :) I would have said the same thing to the tour guide... but seriously? Marie Antoinette? How do you not know who she is? Kristen Dunst plays her in a movie! But, I love history :) When you go back can mom and I come too?

Leslie said...

Ooooo I like Molly's idea! I have never been to Germany, unless you count layovers in Frankfurt, and I remember you saying it was your favorite country! Let's go!! And besides I happen to LOVE history!!(and I also love People magazine!)And I am thinking we should see Austria and Switzerland while we are at it, because I have never been there either, unless you count layovers in Zurich...which I don't! I loved your story about Berlin and honestly if that is the most embarrassing moment while you were backpacking thru Europe for 7 weeks then I think you did darn good! Thanks for allowing me to daydream a little bit about continuing my quest to see the whole world! Love you!!! :)

Allison said...

Soooo funny! You have such a great "literary voice." I don't know if that is the correct term for it, but I felt that I was on the walking trip with you while you were telling that story!

Just Me said...

Oh, thank you, thank you! A tour through Berlin! My request for a tour blog has been answered. And I want to go too! I love history (and People magazine), especially about Germany and The Third Reich and how Germany has recovered and the Berlin Wall coming down. I can imagine your hearing Ronald Reagan tell Gorbachov to "tear down this wall" (and all the rest) was kinda like me hearing Jack Kennedy when I was in high school say "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your county."

I agree with Allison who said it perfectly, "You have a great literary voice." I was right there with you too.

Wilson Girlzz said...

Love it!
Thanks for the history lesson in my kinda terms (quick and to the point)!

If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't have known who Marie Antoinette is.

Can I come along if you go back? Pretty please? I'm an easy traveler, all I need is a good coffee in the morning!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

HA!!!! Annie this kills me!!!!! Sounds like something I would do!!! Broken record here but you are SUCH A GOOD WRITER!!! I loved this post!!!!

I want to go too btw!!!! :)

Annie said...

My dear sweet readers,
you all are too kind :) And that is why I love you all!
So, lets all go to Europe!!!!!!