November 14, 2011

Peace and Quiet, Not for Sale

On Saturday,
peace and quiet
was sponsored by
Alice in Wonderland
and
a big bowl of popcorn.

On Sunday,
Peace and Quiet
was sponsored by
Mars Needs Moms
and
Halloween candy.

But today,
peace and quiet
could not be
bought
nor
bribed.

There was no peace and quiet.  At all.

And today,
I had decided that it would be a really great idea to purchase a
cheap,
used,
Ikea
bunk bed
from Craigslist.

This bunk bed was in 1,000 pieces.  Probably.
And it had been painted white,
and the paint job is almost as good as its overall quality,
which is lacking,
to say the least.

So, here I am, taking a crack at this puzzle of a bunk bed
(without instructions, I might add, since it is a discontinued Ikea model).


And it was so difficult to concentrate with the constant,
"Mommy, are you done yet?"
"Mommy, are you done yet?"
"Mommy, are you done yet?"

"Does it look like I'm done,
DARLING?
You should go
watch a movie
or
eat some candy."


 
"Nah.
We'll just
watch you
and
wait for you to finish
 and
 try to help by stabbing screws into the wood in random places,
and when we get tired of doing that,
we'll run circles around the room and scream,
and
jump over the bunk bed pieces,
occasionally tripping and knocking over stacks of poorly painted lumber."

But tonight,
I tucked my babies into their beds,
and Max called up to Lucy and said,
"Sissy, I'm down here!"
and Lucy called back to Max and said,
"Okay Bubs!  I'm up here!"
and they both said,
"Thanks mom! You made the best bed ever!"
which made me smile
and almost made up for this conversation:

Lucy: Mom, dad told me that you and him met at work, but that is really weird because you don't work anywhere.
Me: Well, I don't work anymore, but I used to.
Lucy: Why don't you work anymore?
Me: Because I want to take care of you, Max, and Joe.
Lucy: Oh, because we would need a babysitter if you went to work?
Me: Right.
Lucy:  Well, a babysitter sounds pretty good.  You can go to work if you want.

Needless to say,
it wasn't my best day ever.

4 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

You are funny...I hope you were intending to make me giggle, because you did. :o)

I love your funny mommy stories and your super ambitious-streak with the bunk bed and no directions.

Can we see pictures?
I have been toying with a bunk bed too lately...funny, I think we share a brain sometimes!

Annie said...

yes, I was trying to make you giggle- there is humor in misery, right??
I'll get some pics of the finished bunk bed... still not sure if it was a good idea, but the kids love it :)

Just Me said...

This made me laugh so much! Did I tell you how well you write? You are the Erma Bombeck of moms. That's a compliment, by the way in case you don't know who she is.

The pic of the kids on the couch watching Alice are so funny....Max and Joe have almost exactly the same expression on their faces. Lucy of course is camera ready.

Kudos to you for putting together the bunk bed with so much "help." I can't wait to see it.

Lisa Blake said...

Are you kidding me??? You really put it together??? I am super impressed!!!! Gosh this was super funny and I am so very proud of YOU! You rock!!!

You know what doesn't rock lately? My comments. Sorry! I promise it's not for lack of love for you or this blog!!!! :)