This afternoon, Lucy and I got into a discussion- not an argument, not a debate- about scooter wheels. Yes, scooter wheels. She is convinced that one type of wheel is faster than another type, her point being that she has the inadequate type of wheels on her newly acquired, pre-owned Barbie scooter. Max sensed that this was a pick-a-side opportunity, and you know what he did? You know what my baby boy did? That tiny boy who loves me so much? He inserted himself into the conversation and said, "Mama! Sissy is right! Not you!" and then, THEN, he looked at Lucy and in an I'm-here-for-you kind of way, gave her a nod and said, "Sissy, mama is stinky!"
Ugh! Whatever!
He didn't pick my side? After all I've done for him? I was a little sad but amused at the same time by the fact that "stinky" is the best insult that he's got.
Lucy also sensed that this was a pick-a-side opportunity, and she snapped at Max in my defense. "Max! Mama is not stinky- she's nice! And you should always be nice to her or you will always get in trouble."
That's my girl!
Max hung his head for a moment and then said, "Oh. Okay, Sissy." Poor guy- now I was feeling sad for him because he was reprimanded by someone other than me, his stinky mama. Reprimanding him is my full-time job, and I'm territorial of my duties, okay?
It was a quick exchange from start to finish, but it made me think about the fact that there are alliances in our family: me and Devon, Devon and Joe, Joe and Lucy, Lucy and Max... all combinations of all family members, really. And though I'd like to be the ultimate mother figure who everyone aligns with and no one challenges, I am not naive enough to believe that I will always be my children's #1. Probably not even their #2. I'll settle for any number in the top five. And if "stinky" is the worst thing that Max ever calls me, I'll be a happy mama!
Today's message at church was about parenting. Lessons about parenting illicit two responses from me: 1) Alright, I'm doing a pretty good job! I love my children, and I'm giving them every ounce of my energy. And 2) Well, crap. I could be doing so much more.
I was reminded of the value of going with the flow when it comes to parenting, and the focus points of the message were of teaching my children the value of love, the necessity of discipline, and the importance of a relationship with God. "Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it." Proverbs 22:6. I left the movie theatre/church feeling more encouraged than crappy, which is preferred, of course, and grateful that though I don't bring much to the table when it comes to parenting wisdom, God is willing and able to use whatever I'm bringing!
And along the lines of parenting, I love this print that I found on Pinterest. My mom always said that I'll have many friends in my lifetime but only one mom. My kids don't need another friend- they need me to be their mom. So I'd better get used to being on the outside of the alliances!


5 comments:
Oh Annie I so needed to hear this one. We had a rough weekend with E, and I thank you-thank you-thank you for putting this one up. I felt as if I was battling my son rather than parenting him this weekend. I have to say that it is very sweet that Mr. Max picked Lucy and then Lucy picked you. My heart goes out to the little man! I love you stinky mama!
How cute, Max sides with Lucy and then she sticks up for you and Max wants to please you both. He is just such a little loverboy. I miss my little Spidey.
You are a great mom to these little "angels." Sometimes they might call you "stinky" but they know who loves them most.
Oh my!! That is just too funny! Hard to believe that Max called you stinky tho! Great blog, but maybe I forgot to tell you that you get to be friends with your kids when they are adults! And you are one of my favorite besties! :) Love you!
I look forward to the being friends part when they are grown!!!! Yup, for now, it's Momma!! :)
Love you! Stinky!
So funny! Honestly, where do kids come up with this stuff? Max is super funny and then Lucy...whattt? She turned on him...I guess it's good to know she has your back right!?
I love the "little humans" poster!
Post a Comment