December 5, 2010

The Mama Badge

My cousin Gina became a mother this morning-
Sawyer Bradley was born in Texas,
and from the photo posted on Facebook, this boy is gorgeous.
(have I mentioned lately that I love Facebook?).

I don't have permission to use this pic- I stole it.  But isn't it precious??

My heart is so full of joy for Gina and her family,
and I keep thinking about that line from It's a Wonderful Life,
"Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings."
Except, I suppose, that I am changing it to,
"Every time that a baby is born, a woman gets her wings."
And I suppose that by "wings" I mean "badge".
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh
Being a woman is a remarkable thing, don't you think?
We get to be feminine and lovely, emotional and irrational, curvy and seductive;
and though women have been fighting for generations to overcome the stigma that we are the weaker gender, as far as I'm concerned, the battle was over before it began. 
We are freakin' powerhouses!
Women are strong.  Women are smart.
Women give birth.

(And, just to be clear, I am not comparing the genders.
Rather, I am celebrating my own gender.)

So, I am quite pleased to be a woman.  I feel lucky.
And it wasn't until January 14, 2007 that I understood  my good fortune,
because that was when I got my badge.


Being pregnant is amazing- it is a miracle, really.
To see your body change, to feel the movement within,
to ache and waddle and cramp and grow,
to bond with and feel love for the tiny naked person who is curled up under your skin,
giving kicks now and then as if to say, "What's up?"...
It is the coolest thing in the whole wide world.

But it wasn't until Lucy was born
that I experienced the love of a mother for her child,
and it was more powerful that I could have ever imagined,
and even now I cannot adequately describe that feeling.
Love at first sight!
A love like no other!
Rapture!

And though I am craving all sorts of details about the birth story,
and the baby's weight and such,
(as most women do)
I am completely satisfied to know that today is the happiest day of Gina's life,
and She gets it!
She knows that feeling!
She has her mama badge!
Today, Gina's heart became intertwined with a tiny boy named Sawyer.
"Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."  Elizabeth Stone
Isn't that the truth??

 Just as weddings remind us of our own marriage and commitment and love,
births remind me of my own time spent in a hospital gown, on a hospital bed, snacking on ice chips, and feeling over-the-moon in love.
Best day(s) of my life :)


Congratulations and welcome to the club, Gina!

10 comments:

Leslie said...

How is it that so often your blogs reduce me to tears??? All I can say is that you nailed all the emotions I felt whenever I was expecting, gave birth or just think about one of my own little miracles. Great blog and I agree with you...that baby is gorgeous and mommy and daddy look awfully happy! love you! :)

Molly Andersson said...

Aww sissy!! you always amaze me at how well you put your emotions into words!! As you know, I'm not a mom yet but it something i look forward to.. especially after reading this blog!! Congrats to Gina and to you and mom.. and every other mama out there!! I will be over the moon to join this club someday! :) p.s. just think.. if you never joined the club.. there would be no "mama rantz" blog!!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Didn't expect to cry while reading your blog tonight! :) Wow, you did an amazing job of summing it all up! I say this a lot lately, but I loved this post!!! I love how genuinely excited you get when others are pregnant or having babies and how much you treasure your memories and your babies!

So funny because almost on a daily basis when someone in the family rubs my tummy and asks me "How's baby Henry?" I say he's good, he is NAKED! :)))
I may only have 10 weeks left with this little guy inside me and I am plan on relishing every moment! Feel free to be inspired once again when I give birth! Hehe!

Wilson Girlzz said...

No kidding - I'm seriously going to grab a tissue before I log in!

What a great tribute!

You rock the Mama Badge well!

Sarah said...

What a great post! Coupled with looking back through photos of Ainsley when she was tiny and fresh (for a project I'm working on), this has served to be a very nostalgic evening. :)

Katie said...

Ahhh... tears here too! You know how to really get us Annie.

I love that Rajneesh quote, in fact I think I put it in MB's baby shower card. Just thinking about pregnancy this way ALMOST makes me want to do it again, but then I'd have 4 kids and with my luck they'd be twins, oh and I get too sick, so NO I won't do it again. (Just to be clear.)

But, yes, being a Mama is the BEST and hardest and most gratifying thing EVER! And we are truely powerful as women. I'm glad to call myself one and to have such amazing Mama friends.

Just Me said...

Congrats to Gina getting her Mommy Badge! I was very touched by this blog. You write so well, Annie, you touch us all.
I love your quotes, especially the Rajneesh one, from other wonderful mothers.

We have a such a unique, powerful experience as mothers. It is a feeling only mothers can truly experience. It is like no other love.

Jami said...

Oh tears tears tears!!! I wear my badge proud....

melinda said...

Great Blog! It holds true for mothers and new grandmothers! I held my granddaughter again today for a few hours and just looked at amazement at her. I also like to hand her back to her mother or father and watch her reactions to her mothers/fathers hands and voice. I told my daughter that I like to watch her parent her newborn! There is nothing like having your heart grow a little bit bigger each time a baby is born, whether your own or your grandchild. Thanks for celebrating motherhood today. I love the warm fuzzies!- Melinda

Gina said...

Annie, I am SO SO glad to join the club and wear my mama badge. I read this post when I was still in the hospital, and have been meaning to come back and comment. I guess I've been busy, can't imagine why? :) Thanks for the sweet words, and the sweet tears. I'm in love with the little man in the picture (and the big man for that matter).