December 29, 2010

The Christmas Finale

Christmas is over.
Vacation is over.
Devon is back to work.
It snowed today.

The kids and I stayed home all day, which was refreshing.  It felt good to not go anywhere and to get some housework done, all while Max followed me around and un-cleaned.  And somehow I got roped into helping Joe organize his Legos- heaps and heaps, piles and piles, of Legos.  First he dumped them all into the middle of his floor and then asked, "Wanna help me sort them by color?"  This kid knows me too well.  Oh, how I love an organization project!  So, we sorted while Max napped and while Lucy sat beside us and made us laugh.  We invited her several times to join in on the fun, but, oddly enough, she didn't see the appeal.

Yesterday we traveled to Aunt Merry and Uncle Dave's house, and it was our finale of this year's Christmas fun.   Lucy received a very special gift from Merry and her mom, Judy Gayle, "Grandma Judy."
Judy Gayle built the dollhouse and painted it, and she even glued all of the shingles on the roof.  Merry helped furnish and accessorize (a chandelier, a Christmas tree...), and a lovely little family was found to live in this house- a man, woman, boy, girl, and baby boy, much like our own little family!  I think it is really special that some of the furniture once belonged to Grandma Joyce- Devon and Merry's grandmother.  Needless to say, Lucy loves it all! 

On the way home, I had to inform Lucy that Christmas is now completely over until next year, and she cried. Seriously, she was kind of devastated!  I don't blame her for being sad- I can remember that when I was a kid, the day after Christmas always seemed like the saddest day of the year, as decorations were taken down, and the gift wrap was balled up in the trash, and the holiday treats had all be eaten, and relatives had gone home...  I didn't want the fun to end.  As an adult, and a parent, I don't feel too sad when Christmas ends.  In fact, I happily packed away our decorations (after I found that our tree had fallen again while we were out of town), and the kids have officially been cut-off from candy for a while (it seems that sugar has been a staple food group lately!), and I have vowed to begin Christmas shopping for next year as soon as possible (more on that when I write about my resolutions for 2011) as to avoid spending most of Christmas Eve shopping like a maniac (as I did, unfortunately)... 

Not to say that I don't enjoy Christmas.  I do!  But it is over now, and I'll love it again next December :)

2 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

WoW!
What an awesome dollhouse!
I love that it Merry and Judy Gayle made it and picked out the perfect family for it. How special!

I can totally visualize the lego organization party because my brother was a Lego-Maniac in his younger years and my mom too spent many hours sorting and organizing.
She still has all of his legos...hundrezzz of legos!!

I hear you about shopping early and trying better next year - have you hit any of the post-Christmas sales? I stocked up on some wrapping paper and a few things the other day. I love 50% off!!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

The dollhouse ROCKS! Lucy is one lucky little lady!!!
You are so funny, getting roped into the lego organization party. That's no joke, considering how many legos Joe has! :)

I will definitely be with you on the pre-christmas prep, which I am actually usually good at. It makes all the difference in the enjoyment! :)

We will be making our plans in July? Right? By Thanksgiving we will sit back and revel in the fact that while others are just about to get going we are done, maybe even wrapped!

Well, you did a great job with Christmas even with the Christmas eve chaos you felt! :)