December 22, 2010

Lisa Update

I realize that I've kind of left you all hanging as far as updating you on Lisa.  I didn't have any news to update with, really. 
You see, Lisa still does not have a diagnosis, but not for lack of the doctors' efforts- my poor friend is bruised and tired and has endured more tests than she can count.  She has good days when she experiences very few episodes, but good days are usually followed by tough nights, and the episodes continue- a spike in her heart rate and blood pressure and a loss of consciousness.  Truly, her status can change minute by minute.
Lisa was moved from the Cardiac ICU to a hospital room, which was happy news, but then she was quickly moved back to CICU after she had three terrible episodes while alone in her room, ringing the nurses' bell, and no one came to help.  She needs the care and attention that is available in the ICU, so it is there that she waits.
On a higher note, an ultrasound was performed on Saturday, and baby Henry looks good!  He is measuring to be 30 weeks, which is bigger (older? further along? What is the correct word?) than expected, and he is estimated to be 3 pounds 6 ounces.  This was fantastic- really fantastic- news!  Such a good boy already!  The baby does not seem to be affected by what Lisa's body is experiencing.  And her belly is big and round and perfect- Henry is going to be great :)
Doug's co-workers and their families have rallied to help the Blakes in any capacity.  An abundance of meals have been provided, their Christmas gifts have been wrapped...  Lisa's sweet friend Kristy has been a consistent visitor at the hospital, and Kristy's mom has even been staying the night at the house so that the kids aren't alone if Doug has to leave suddenly.  The kids are quite happy to have "Aunt Kathy" staying with them.  Lisa's sister has been a tremendous support too, and overall, Doug and Lisa are feeling the love and prayers from their community.

So, last night I had a chance to go visit Lisa.  I met up with Doug first so that he could pass off Lisa's dinner, her cell phone charger, some finger nail clippers... and he gave me directions to the hospital and to Lisa's little space in the huge building, and there were several, "don't miss this turn- BAD neighborhood," and "stay away from this road- NOT a good place to be."  With that all in mind, I made my way to UC Davis Medical Center.  I was really looking forward to seeing my friend, but I also felt a heavy sense of this is sad.  I followed Doug's directions to the CICU, and I found myself passing the exact area where my family and I sat and waited while my brother Seth had a tumor removed from his head 4 years ago.  I was then struck with the fear that I felt then, so now I was sad and afraid!  By the time that I made it to Lisa's bed, I was a mess!  I was in tears as I saw my beautiful friend strapped to all sorts to machines with a huge smile on her face- I wanted to unhook her from everything and get her out!  We'll make a break for it!  Come on Lisa, we'll go to the mall, and we'll stop at Starbucks, and weren't you supposed to take some family portraits for us this week!?!?
We had a great visit, just as if we were sitting in her living room, and she told me what to do and what to expect in the event that she had an episode while I was there- so I kept a close eye on her heart rate, a little worried. 
Today, my kids and I went to the Blakes' house to pick up Kennedy for the afternoon- Joe and Kennedy always play so well together- and we visited with Tanner a bit, who is more grown up than I've ever seen him, and I can just tell that he is doing such a good job taking care of his sisters and being helpful while all of this is happening.  Little Maysyn clings to him- she trusts him so much.  And Kennedy showed me all of the Christmas ornaments that hang from their tree.  Kathy helped her decorate it, and it looks beautiful.  All of Lisa's Christmas decor and crafts are displayed, and it bothers me that she will be in the hospital on Christmas.  Like, I want to stomp my foot and throw a little tantrum because I think that Lisa should be healthy and at home.  She is such a fantastic mom and takes such pleasure in being at home with her family, and therefore, darn it!, I want her and baby Henry to get through this and get home.

So there you have it- the update. 
Lisa will be in the CICU until the baby is delivered, and though her spirits are high, and she looks great (I wish I had a picture of her from last night!), and she is as funny as ever, this is a very tough time of discomfort and uncertainty, and your continued prayers are greatly appreciated!

And I snagged a little pic from her blog so that you can have a face to go with a name, in case you don't know her.  (Just imagine her pregger belly to be two months larger :)

5 comments:

Molly Andersson said...

poor Lisa :( i hope she knows how much we love her!! I'm glad you went to visit her!! and Lisa- Aaron and I pray for you every night!!

Wilson Girlzz said...

You are such a great friend (I KNOW this to be VERY true!)

I'm sure your visit meant the world to Lisa and we all continue to pray for she, Henry and the family.

Just Me said...

I remember Lisa from your wedding and I am so sad this is happening to her. But she is in the best place for everything to come out okay, including Baby Henry. My best wishes are with her.

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Annie, you will never know how much you mean to me. I love you so much and all the support you have given has just filled me up with so much hope and love. I enjoyed our visit soooo much and like I said you were like a mirage in the desert!!! Even though I spend so much of my time crying in this place I just couldn't yesterday while you were here. The nurses could hardly believe it when they would come in and see that I was somewhat together! :) All because you were coming! A huge pick me up for me and I am hanging onto it! Thanks for giving the updates, and just for being the best a friend could hope for!

BTW, I would love for you to spring me from this joint! if you have a plan, we will get that starbucks and take those pictures!

Oh and thank you for the acknowledgement of Kristy and Kathy and my Sister, they really have been amazing!

Okay, love you and oh ya, Kennedy had THE BEST time today! She said "Joe and I were up to our old selves, having adventures together"! Knowing that others are loving my children when I can't be with them...well, I can't even put it into words...thank you.

and i think to myself...what a wonderful world said...

Annie - I am one of Lisa's friends in the blog world. Thank you very much for this post, you are an amazing friend and person!