I'm in love with red onions.
It took me nearly 30 years to appreciate the deliciousness of the red onion.
My favorite lunch these days is a sandwich made on Innkeeper's 8 grain bread from Costco with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, avocado, cucumber, tomato and, the star of the show, red onion. Yum! I savor the breath that lingers!
As I was snuggling with Max yesterday, getting him down for a nap, he said, "Sticky, mama," and pointed to my nose. I asked, "Is there something sticky in my nose?" and he said, "No, steeeeeeky."
Oh. He meant my breath! Sorry, kid!
I'm pretty sure that Lucy did something similar when she was around Max's age, and I'm pretty sure that I blogged about it then too, which makes me wonder how is it that my toddler noticing my stinky breath is blog-worthy news? Is it really that funny when a child who can barely verbally articulate his or her thoughts is able to express that my breath is offensive?
Friends, I'm worried that I'm running out of things to blog about.
I'm kind of a one-trick pony (I've always wanted to use that expression- how did I do?). I don't have photography skills, and I don't really craft or decorate, or even cook or bake. I don't scrapbook. My marketable skills are limited. So, this is what I do. This is it- this blog is my only hobby and creative outlet. It is this pony's only trick!
I can geek out about how much I love Ralph Macchio, and share my latest pictures of Lucy in a princess gown, and even tell you what I ate for lunch today. And I can't promise you anything more than that!
A friend of mine once started a blog that disappointingly only lasted through a handful of posts, but I often think of this line of his: "So why have I begun on this new pasttime that sounds like a code for a bowel movement?" It is true, blog is a funny word. "Do you blog?" "I'm blogging." "My blog has a new banner." It is a noun. It is a verb. It is a public forum on which I share details of my life. Which brings up the questions Am I sharing too much? Should I change my account to private? Is there value in being more open about my daily life? Or is it better to be more vague?
My mom accused me of blogging about everything. I retorted like a 4 year old, "No I don't!" I really don't. I promise. I don't blog about the times when I'm really upset with my husband. Or when being a stepmom kicks my butt in a thousand different directions. I don't really blog about politics or finances. I try not to blog when I'm grumpy, so that I don't complain too much or sound ungrateful. I don't post our address or directions to our house. See, there are things that I keep private. :)
But today I'm sharing that I love red onions, and that the sandwich that I mentioned earlier is the bomb, and that Max can identify "steeeeky" breath.
So, there you go.
Come again!

9 comments:
I totally enjoy your blog!! I'm ok with your details because I think it gives an authentic and genuine voice that we can relate to.. kind of like you say all the thing everyday moms think but don't say but are totally relieved to know someone else has been there!! I love your blog my sister and I love hearing all the funny stories about your kids! It makes me feel like I'm watching them grow up even though I'm all the way in California!! Also idk who the blog poop guy was I have a pretty good guess... but gross lol!!
Hey! For the record, I am your biggest fan!! (just wanted to clear that up :)) No marketable skills?? teaching school for starters! Selling, editing (as in editor! Writing for publication, I think you are extremely talented!! I laughed that Max thought your breath was "steeeeky"! Maybe you can try brushing your tongue :)That sandwich sounds amazing and delicious, try it with artichoke-parmesan spread instead of cream cheese and add some sprouts sometime...yum!
Love,
Your biggest fan (mom)
I will say it again....you are a VERY creative person. Doing this blog in the very creative way you do is not easy. I know, I tried it. It takes me forever to get anything blogged. It seems so easy for you and writing in the way you do makes you sound authentic. And you are.
Raising kids takes energy, stamina and creativity. Some you have more of than others on certain days :-) Everyone who has or who has ever had kids can relate. And you have an experience many moms don't know: Being a stepmom. You do it very well and I know it requires even more of above mentioned energy, stamina and creativity.
I live just across the lake but I too feel like I am up with your family life and I think you are a very good photographer, writer and humorist. Keep it up.
Another big fan.
Oh, and red onions are the Queen of onions! Even for steeeeky breath.
Hey Pony - you are a crack up!
I think you are full of fabulous tricks - being a mommy, telling funny jokes, sandwich making, and blogging would be the ones I'd start with...and that's just today.
Your Max story is funny. I love the picture (was it still steeenky?) and the fact that he called you out. Gotta love kiddos!
On my veggie sandwiches I love roasted red peppers. You can buy them at Trader Joes for a decent price and they are TDF!
Oh Annie! I read this yesterday and fell in love with yet another one of your funny and clever posts! Don't you ever change your style! You couldn't blog enough for this reader! :)))
I love the one trick pony usage! Well done! I have always wanted to use the phrase...this isn't my first rodeo! I haven't been successful yet! :)))
I love your new layout and header! Oh and your sammy sounds tdf and I was a late blooming lover of red onions too! You steeeeeky blogger!!!
Hi Annie! So this will be my second attempt to leave you a comment and I am praying that I'm more successful this time around.
It sounds like one of those days I am all too familiar with when believing the lies that you are not good enough take over and seek to destroy all confidence or hope you may have once held.
I am a newer reader of your blogs and you keep me coming back not just because as Molly pointed out it's nice to feel closer to all of you but I enjoy the way that you write as well. I can hear your voice through your written words! It is most definitely a gift to be proud of.
Eating a good sandwich in the middle of the day when the kids just happen to be playing nicely is the only vacation I know of these days. I so get that excitement and it is definitely worth blogging about! Love, Jillian
I feel that all of the comments left above summarize exactly how I feel. I never walk away wondering why you just blogged about something so simple, but rather I appreciate the humor you find in the simple things. It is a gift that not everyone has. I love you and keep the posts coming! I am sitting in an airport, and my flight is 3 hours late-your blog is making me smile despite being so far from home!
I love your blog!! You're hilarious and your stories are great:). You are far from a one trick pony!!!
Post a Comment