March 16, 2011

Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls

It has been raining for days.  Raining in Seattle- shocking, right?
But there was a short break in the downpour, and some blue sky even peeked through the clouds, and the sun filled our windows and warmed our rooms.
I'm not sure that Max and Lucy knew the reason behind their sudden burst of joy, but I knew- it was the sunshine!!  They danced and giggled and jumped, and the overall vibe of the happy morning inspired me to grab my camera and attempt to capture the moment.
Of course, as soon as the camera was in sight, the giggling stopped and neither child would make eye contact with me. 
So, I had to resort to singing "Happy Birthday", which they liked, and then I asked Lucy to tell some jokes- the punchline is always "pickle!" because she thinks that pickle is the funniest word ever- and I over exaggerated a fake laugh in order to evoke laughter from them, and all in all, I think the moment was captured!
"PICKLE!"

Then we ran some errands, and, on a whim, I decided to take the kids to Snoqualmie Falls.  We live less than 15 minutes from this tourist attraction, yet we've never been there.  See, my husband got married there once, and I was not his bride that day.  So, in my mind, this natural wonder is a dark and doomed place, even on the sunniest of days.  And it might as well spew boiling lava, the mist of which would burn your flesh as you stood on the viewing platform, which would, of course, then crumble in an avalanche, casting your body down into shark infested waters below.  Well, gosh, that sounds fun!  Let's go!

But today I gave myself a little pep-talk.  Maybe we could reclaim this waterfall, making it a favorite place to visit.  On a warm summer day, we'll pack a picnic and take it to the Falls and cool off in the shade.  Maybe the kids will love it.  Maybe they'll ask to go there often.

So, the three of us- the characters introduced in Act II of a play that would be called "Devon's Life"- made our way up to the platform to check out this waterfall for ourselves.




Do you think Max liked the waterfall?  No, he did not.  He kept saying, "Home, mama. No wah-der."  And Lucy only said, "Uh, mom, I'm getting kinda wet."
So, did we love it?  Were we in awe?  Did I make my peace with the local natural spectacle?  Nah.  Ya' seen one waterfall, ya' seen 'em all.
It turns out that there isn't a waterfall in Act II :)


"No wah-der, mama.  No wah-der.  Home, mama"

So, we went home.  And we used the last bit of blue sky for some pics with the auto-timer.  Don't be surprised to see it as my new Facebook profile picture.


TLC had it right. "Don't go chasing waterfalls. Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to."

You loved that song too, right?

8 comments:

Leslie said...

I do love that song!!! and I am so proud of you for making peace with Devon Act1!! I am also so, so happy that Max did not like it because this grandma was a little terrified that he would try to escape and climb the fence! The pictures are super cute even if the Max and Lucy ones were coerced :) love you!

Gina said...

I think I know every word to that entire TLC album. Sad, but true. Love the pic of you and your trio. Annie, you have such a beautiful family!

Just Me said...

So happy you made peace with your local natural wonder and Devon's Life Act I. You were very brave.
I love love love your new pic of Mama and babies. Lucy has such a cute dimple in her chin! It is so apparent when she is smilingso big.

Allison said...

My fear of heights alone would keep me from going on that bridge! I agree with your mom, I would be terrified that my little one would decide to climb the fence! Good job on going and facing Act I's beginning. It's like any good play or movie...there has to be a starting point wrapped in conflict so there can be a happy ending once all of it gets resolved! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Stop it! Just STOP! You are KILLING ME! :))) You are officially the best blogger ever! This cracks me up! I can't believe you revisited the dreaded falls!!! I have heard so many "good things" about it from you! :) haha!
Well, I guess the kids have some good instincts after all! No reclaiming, new memories, new location, I say!

Your pickle sunshine pictures are AWESOME!!! I will consider it a good tip when I take pics of your fam!!!

Lovin you extra today! :)

Wilson Girlzz said...

Has anyone ever told you that you are an amazing writer? I feel like I just had a good heart to heart over a great lunch with you...wow!

Your funny and wise and I love seeing pictures of your kiddos with 'giggle smiles' - those are the best kind of smiles.

I did love that song and I think in my teen years, I missed the metaphor they were using. Stick to your rivers and lakes. Amen.

The Browns said...

I love the picture on the left of Max and Lucy...they look so much alike! Also, Max's faces at the waterfall- I think it's safe to say that he won't be asking to go back;)

Great song reference and props on your brave act of overcoming the "ex-fear"!!!

Thank you for the advise...it sounds simple and practical:)

Annie said...

thanks y'all! I love love love reading your comments! Thanks for your love and support! :)