March 3, 2011

Empathy and Other Lovely Things

I think that when we build relationships with one another, we look for empathy.  We long to be understood and accepted in a this-is-who-I-am-and-this-is-what-I'm-going-through kind of way.


 
I go through phases in life when I look for empathy from any innocent being that can manage to give me two seconds of attention.  The cash-register person at the grocery store, or the person from the bank who calls on a regular basis, or another mom at Stroller Strides, or the readers of this little blog...  Maybe it is because I am starved for daily adult interaction, but I have a strong desire for someone to say, "I get you."



And sympathy is important too- there is comfort in knowing that I'm not the only one who feels like my children have drained from me every ounce of humanity by the end of the each day.


Last week, as I was rushing Lucy through her bedtime routine of the pajama selection and teeth brushing and potty, she took a break from her constant stream of chatter and said, "Mommy, I know that it is really hard work to be a mom."  Huh?  Did I just experience empathy from the tiny humanity-vampire sitting on the toilet?  My heart melted a bit and I said, "Yes, Lucy it is hard work.  But I love you."  I suppose that I was expecting her to expand on her insight, but she continued, "I love you too.  Next time that we go to Target, can we buy...?"  The moment had passed, but I caught it! 


 
Yes, I am that desperate to be understood. 


 
(Now comes the part where you tell me that you get it, and that I am not alone, and maybe even that you feel the same!)



In other news, here is one of my favorite Charlie Sheen quotes from one of his "winning" interviews:  "I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available. If you try it once, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." 


And here are a few favorite pictures from last week.

Much to my dismay, Max shared his Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch with Lola.

Lucy asked Aunt Merry to make her a new dress, and her wish was granted!  Someone (Lucy) has someone (Merry) wrapped around her little finger :)


Joe, Merry & Tank


10 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

LUCY!
She is so awesome and she totally gets it...I love that you caught her moment.

It is tough work, but rewarding, right? :o)

Can I sing you a song?
Ahhh, heeemmm (clearing the throat)

"You are not alone, for I am here with you.
Though you're far away, I am here to stay.
For you are not alone, for I am here with you.
Though we're far apart, you're always in my heart."

:o)
LOVES!

Just Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just Me said...

I totally get you, Annie. And you do have a very very smart little girl. You threw a perfect pass and she caught it. And she threw it back, just like your littlest boy does with his football. (Isn't he just a natural?)

Another Charlie-ism:
"When you've got Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA, it's like get with the program, you've been given magic, you've been given gold!"
This guy is in need of a mental hospital and soon! More than a train wreck, he is an earthquake with aftershocks. And we can't help but watch. Sad but true.

Thank goodness for Aunt Merry, she has taken on your kids in a very special way.

Sonia said...

I get you Annie! EVen though I am not a stay at home momma, When I do get a few delicious days at home with my kiddos, I feel completely drained by the end of the day! Last night I made Avery a "deal". If she would just sleep in her own bed ALL night, I would have a surprise for her in the morning. Momma needed some GOOD sleep! So, at 3am, a little voice is next to my bed asking me to come to HER bed to snuggle with her! She wasn't getting in MY bed, right??? SO I walked her back to bed and explained that I desperately needed sleep so that I wouldn't become grumppy mommy! Of course this morning she wanted her surprise! She didn't sleep inmy bed, right???? No dice.

Just wanted you to know, I get you! and I miss you!

The Browns said...

You're doing such a GREAT job. Your children are so lucky and obviously they know it and can feel it:). I only have Logann (so far), so I won't pretend that I have even the slightest clue about what you go through each and every day. Just know, you're appreciated and understood!!

Annie said...

THANK YOU so much everyone! I am feeling better already! Blogging has seriously been a bit of a support group for me!
And even a Michael Jackson serenade!
Sonia, I like your story- Avery is a smart cookie! I would love to bribe Max to stay in his own bed. He gets up and finds us in the middle of the night, and he strokes my hair to soothe himself back to sleep. Needless to say, I don't sleep well!! :(

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

ANNIE! How did I miss this all day??? Oh that Lucy!!! She is a smart one!!! I totally get the empathy thing! It's really an important element for everybody! It's not just that misery loves company, you want to know that someone else understands, that they have been there, that you are appreciated and not going unnoticed! That this too shall pass :). I love you and I think you do an amazing job!!! I love this little blog BTW!!!!! I really was drafting a love of blogging tribute in my mind in the wee hours of the morning today.

Your Charlie Sheen quote rocks my world!!! It's the best one!!! I hadn't heard that one!

I guess I will go with a Goddess (the tall not pornstar one) quote :)
"I support him in whatever he wants to do. I am on the bus. I am going. Lets go lets get it done"

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

PS Ken just dies of jealousy over Aunt mary's house and the tank! :)

Allison said...

Imagine me singing arm in arm with Andrea swaying back and forth serenading you...the thought of that makes me laugh.

I totally get it. I find that when I need someone to understand, I look to the total stranger. It is so easy for me to overshare and then walk away from it...I'm sure it's not healthy but it helps. I'm so glad that Lucy had that moment with you too. I love you!

Sarah said...

Dude, I feel you! :)
And the Charlie Sheen quote makes me think of Chuck Norris "facts." LOL!