Have you ever played the game "Never Have I Ever"? It is an ice-breaker type game, played at youth group or on the way to church camp or in a long line to ride a roller coaster or at a restaurant while you wait for the food to arrive... according to wikipedia, where you can read the official rules if you'd like, it is even a drinking game. But I learned it at youth group. No alcohol. Promise.
So, my ace in the hole has always been never have I ever broken a bone.
Anyway, Devon and I went on a date last night, and we went to our favorite restaurant, Cactus (amazing salsa, fantastic ambiance, cool waiters, hip patrons). We sat at a tall table in the bar, because it was a 30 minute wait for a table in the dining room, and as I hoisted myself onto the domed cushioned bar stool, I set my purse on the bar stool beside me. My purse began to slide, threatening to embarrassingly scatter all of its contents onto the floor, and my reflexes moved fast to secure my purse, and I'm not sure what happened next, because it is now all a blur, but I think that the top of my hand slammed against the underside of the mosaic table, and the pain was unlike anything I've ever felt before. I think I let out a high-pitched moan like, ugghhhahhhh, and Devon asked, "What? What just happened? What did you do?" I couldn't answer him because I was busy trying to decide whether to cry, scream profanities, or vomit. I didn't want to lose my status as a "hip patron" by making a scene! I mumbled, I think I'm going to throw-up.
I showed him my hand, confident that I'd broken a bone. It didn't look any different, but it was numb in spots. Once the room stopped spinning, I began to make a mental list-
Okay, I saved the purse, so crisis averted.Fortunately, it is my left hand, so I can still writeWe can go to Urgent Care tonight, but I probably won't be able to see a doctor until Monday.Pain-killers could be fun.Maybe my mom will fly up to take care of me- that would be good!Now what am I going to say when I play "Never Have I Ever"?
My glass of sangria arrived, not a moment too soon, and I sipped slowly as I watched my hand, waiting for swelling and bruising.
It was a false alarm. The numbness went away by the time that we finished our meal, and I'd forgotten about it altogether once I found these shoes at Nordstrom Rack-
Max got new shoes this week too!
Well, first, he inherited these hand-me-down shoes (and pajamas) from our friend Hayden-
Hayden's shoes were unlike anything that Max had ever put on his feet! They had red lights that flashed when he walked, and they had "Queen" (Lightening McQueen) on the sides! And despite the fact that they are currently 2 sizes too big, Max would not take them off! He was pretty funny as he'd stomp through the house in the too-big shoes, exaggerating his already established here-comes-trouble gait!
I figured that I'd fight fire with fire. If he loves these shoes so much and will not take them off- not even to sleep- I'll just buy him some that are his size. Win win.
We came home with Buzz Lightyear shoes that light-up :)
Now Lucy wants princess shoes that light up. Of course she does!
Let's play- Never have I ever broken a bone. Have you? If so, did you cry, scream profanities, or barf?



8 comments:
Oh, you didn't say last night when you got home. I guess I wasn't feeling good so it didn't feel like the time. So sorry.
Did I ever? Break a bone? Yes. But my memory of it, square dancing in
6th grade gym class, involves wearing the cast and getting it signed and having to use my left hand to write in class. As I recall actual broken bones don't hurt as badly as bruised ones. But it is a very old memory :-)
Love love Max's Buzz Lite shoes.
Cute shoes...I need to get some, if fact I need to go shopping!! But, first I will have this baby;) Then, I will do P90X. And finally, I will reward myself with a new wardrobe...or at least a new outfit or two.
Fun game...I was playing basketball in a big tournament. I had blocked a pass and thought I broke my finger. So, the trainer checked it all out and said I was fine...we only had 5 players, so the game must go on. After the game, I was sitting with ice on my hand and I lifted it up for a sec b/c it was really cold, when I saw the lady's eyes next to me grow to the size of saucers. So, I looked down to see what she was starring at...that would be my hand!! It had nearly tripled in size. Needless to say, we made a trip to the hospital. They told me that in fact my finger wasn't broken...my hand was!! It was the joke of the entire tournament;) Great trainer, huh! But, no crying, no profanities...too much adrenaline.
I also have never broken a bone (unless I do truly have a stress fracture in my foot currently, in which case I also will have to come up with a new "I never..."). I did however blow out my ankle right after Joshua & I got married. I fell down the stairs at work as we were closing & landed with my foot sideways in my Danskos. Not cool. I ended up having a royal blue foot for a month & a walking boot for over 3 months. I kinda wish it had been broken. One of the worst pains in my entire life. Glad your hand is okay. :) See you next weekend!
HA! I love this!!! Do I say that too much? Sorry, it's true!!! You crack me up!
Okay, I am with ya...never have I ever broken a bone either!!!!
I wish I had more time here...love you
Ok, I have to admit I have done this particularthing 3 times. The arm in gym class, then a toe when I tried on my girlfriend's toe shoes. We were both in dance classes but I only took ballet and tap, she took only ballet. I had to try them on. OOOPs, broke my toe and it does not bend to this day and sometimes hurts like heck. Still.
The third one you don't wanna hear about....or maybe I just don't wanna tell.
I love your shoes and I also love that we wear the same size!! :) and I have broken one bone.. my pink finger... and this happened when a certain sister of mine accedently slammed the trunk on my little finger At the Seattle airport!! then had to go around to the drivers side to pop the trunk back open to get my finger out!! Now that finger is a little crooked.. but it was an accedent and now its a funny story! Love u and glad u didn't break your hand!!
Way to maintain your 'hip patron' status. I likey very mucho!
I've never broken a bone either; but I have had a few extreamily painful injuries on the battlefield and I am a curser. 100%foul-mouthed. I can only imagine what might come out of my mouth if I ever brake a bone!
I like your new shoes too!
Never have I ever broken a bone either!!! I love it! Not many people can say that! And oooh your Maxy just reminds me of my Blake! We have got to get these 2 together. Blake is in love with a new pair of hand me down shoes as well. They are plain white and blue Osh Kosh. I can only imagine the love he would feel if Woody & Buzz, or Lightening were on them. He carried around an empty Toy Story 3 bag all weekend. (Which, I have a feeling Max will be receiving soon, since I saw your mom at the dollar store when I bought it!) Miss you!!!
Post a Comment