March 21, 2011

Grocery Shopping Woes

In a perfect world, I could find everything we need at one store.

Or, imagine a parking lot that is settled between Costco, Trader Joe's, Safeway and Target.  Heaven, right?

Rather, to cross off everything on the shopping list, I make four separate stops, loading and unloading the kids from their carseats each time.  And since it is raining more often than not, we get increasingly wet with each stop.  And there is always the annoying issue of having to return the shopping cart while leaving the kids alone in the locked car.

Not to mention, grocery shopping with kids is less than a desirable activity.  If the in-and-out-of-the-car routine doesn't totally wear me out, negotiating with Lucy as she asks for everything in sight will surely do the trick.

But today is the day- our shopping list has reached a critical point.  We can only go for so long without laundry detergent or milk.

I'm going to try to get it all done in only 2 stops (Costco and Safeway)- wish me luck!!  And it is not raining right now- bonus!!

And, sure, I could make it easier and go on the weekends or in the evenings while Devon is home with the kids, but I think that the bottom line is that I just don't like grocery shopping.  Period.
Does anyone feel my pain?  How many stops do you make? 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Annie! I really hope it stays dry for you!!! I say to ease the pain a little you should pull through Starbucks for a little pick me up!!!! :)

We have a crazy amount of stops too! Costco, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes! We used to keep walmart in the mix for some two dollar grass fed cheese...but we kicked it to the curb and pay the extra two bucks at whole foods because it just wasn't worth it with the lines!

At the risk of being totally annoying...:)...Doug has been doing all the shopping for months. Even more annoying...I miss it! I LOVE grocery shopping! But not in the rain..oh no...not in the rain!

Happy Shopping, and remember to make that pit stop!!

Just Me said...

Again, if only I lived closer. But for now I don't. I have imagined you going shopping with the little ones and all that entails. You do so many things with kids in tow, go so many places....you are a SUPERMOM!

Jami said...

OH Annie I SO hear you on this one, I hate having so many stops but I have started only using products that either come from Trader Joes or Costco, the rest I make Ryan pick up on his way home from work, I just use the excuse that I totally forgot....dish soap, desitin, and body wash ;) He hasn't caught on yet!!!!!

Allison said...

I think that this is my version of folding laundry. I will do the grocery shopping around here just to avoid folding! I hope you got it all done! Love you.

Unknown said...

First, I read your blog daily and LOVE the way you write and getting a glimpse into your sweet family. So much of what you write rings so true to my heart and life. I can relate, empathise, cry and laugh with you.

In regards to shopping, I FEEL YOUR PAIN. Before I lived in the city I would head to Roseville to run the same shopping circuit you do. I think grocery shopping is my most hated chore (I hate all chores, but grocery shopping... puke). The overwhelming sense of only having so much money, lack of ability and knowledge to know how to feed my family good food, and then actually figuring out what to buy... I hate the whole thing. I think I just hate the stress it causes.

Anyways, from one overwhelmed shopper to another, hope your day brings laughter and love.

Love, Annie

Molly Andersson said...

Shopping in the rain is the worst!! We went out today and the wind was so strong it was like blowing us around!! You are super mama!