September 2, 2010

Summer's Finale

So, I know that summer isn't officially over until later this month, but I've always felt that the first day of school marks the beginning of fall, and school began on Tuesday, and the weather turned to rain, and all of the sudden summer was over, just like that!

Here's how we finished up:

Joe's 12th Birthday
Joe invited four of his friends to join us at Aunt Merry's house for a day of fun!  Swimming, badminton, horses, BBQ...  a great way to celebrate Joe's special day!


Emmett's 1st Birthday
It is one thing to see my own children grow up quickly, but it is another experience to watch a friend's child grow right before my eyes.  Wasn't Emmett just born???!!!

Jacqui's 30th Birthday Totally Awesome 80's Party!
Jacqui's party was at a karaoke bar in Ballard, and it was TOTALLY AWESOME!
While I didn't touch a microphone- not even once- nearly everyone else in the group was fearless, and I laughed so hard that my cheeks hurt :)

Jacqui- the birthday girl!- had a fantastic outfit complete with teased hair and blue eyeshadow!


And Katie's hair, make-up, and her home-made leg-warmers and acid washed mini-skirt won her the award of best 80's costume!


Adam and Katie saved me from having to go solo, since my date ditched me for VIP tickets to see Godsmack (who??).
Jacqui's husband Phil resembled George Michael while Katie's husband Adam had more of an Axl Rose vibe.  Such a fun night!  Maybe next time I'll have the courage to belt out a song :)

Devon's Surprise 40th Birthday Party
With the help of my family and friends, I pulled off a surprise party!  Devon didn't suspect a thing!




BINGO!

It was one of those nights when you bask in the gratitude that you feel for great friends, you know??



And once the week-long birthday extravaganza was over, and my parents and my sister returned to California, Joseph started school-
And I have been recovering from a fantastic, fun-filled summer, working to transition into whatever the new season holds for Mama Rantz & Co.!

7 comments:

Wilson Girlzz said...

Great recap and pictures.

I don't know why...but the picture of all the people that attended Devon's party got me all teary...I am happy you are all so loved!

No karaoke for you?!
I'm a little surprised - but I know I wouldn't have made it up on stage either without a trusty sidekick

love you!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Seriously, no encore of pour some sugar on me? :) Oh well, your outfit and hair were RAD!

AnnIe, I love your recap and all of the pictures! Everything from Joe's bday and first day of school to Devon's surprise party! I always think it is so impressive when people can pull off a true surprise. He must have been so happy!

Rain? I am jealous. It will be 100 here today.

Annie said...

thanks ladies!
I know, I know, I totally should have sang at Jacqui's party- I just couldn't think of the perfect song. And other people would pick great songs that had the whole audience dancing and singing along, and I'd be like, "DARN! I should have thought of this one!"

Next time, for sure! (Jacqui & Katie, you've got to hold me to that one!)

The group pic @ Devon's party- 3 or 4 families had already left before the pic was taken, and the bigger kids (joe, jude, ethan) were playing and didn't come pose for the pic, and Marybeth (and Emmett!) snapped the pic for us...it was such a great group and I was feeling so blessed, big time!!

comfy cozy said...

Like, oh my gosh, I would have been totally jeal of your awesome bangs back in the day; like, how'd you get them so high?? Some serious Aqua Net for sure! :)

LOVE all the pics and a big happy birthday to the two men in your lives!

Allison said...

Great recap! I would have thought you would have busted out a little NKOTB! Hanging Tough...are you tough enough?!?

Anyway-the birthday party looked like fun! Love you!

Just Me said...

Love all the pics, it was so awesome to totally surprise Devon. We all pulled it off. You, your friends and especially your parents did such a great job. Coy and Leslie were working the entire time to make it perfect.

Joe looks very handsome and kool for his first day at Middleschool.

Just Me said...

Oh, and the high bangs at the 80's party, perrrfect! You would have been the envy of every female (and some males).

Speaking of 80's, the display at his party of Dev's high school pics rockin' the Rod Stewart doo and the "I'm too cool" look were so fun to see...again.