September 11, 2010

Mixed Tape


Remember these?  Cassette tapes?  Or better yet- mixed tapes! 

I've been in the mood for a new mixed tape.  I remember the days- I must have been 10 or 11 years old- when I'd sit by my boom box, waiting for my favorite songs to be played on the radio, and once they began I'd push the "record" button as fast as I could, and then I'd add that song to a mixed tape- after coping it with high-speed dubbing, enjoying every second of the Chipmunk-esque sound- and I'd distribute the finished product to my friends, and, a few years later, to my crushes.  

Not too long ago, I received a fantastic mixed CD in the mail from a blogging buddy, and it reminded me of why I loved making those cassettes so many years ago.  A mixed tape was kind of like a friendship bracelet- it meant something special. Sometimes I'd write personal notes in the case liner, and I'd always use a Sharpie to title the tape "Annie's Mix," or something like that. 

And when I would receive a mixed tape from a boy- oh! The excitement!  What a perfect way to express feelings!  There was no texting, no facebooking, no blogging.  It was all about the mixed tape.  It was all about listening to the first song and assuming, "This must be our song!" and then fast-forwarding to the next song, and the next song, and the next song, until I'd finally heard both sides of the tape, and then I'd know exactly how he felt about me.

Remember the song "To Be With You" by Mr. Big?  Sing it with me now- "I'm the one who wants to be with you. Deep inside I hope you'll feel it toooooo!"  I love, love, love that song!  Does anyone make great music like that anymore?  (my husband is totally going to roll his eyes when he reads this!)

Today I sat down to make myself a good old fashion mixed tape, except that instead of a cassette, I used a CD, and instead of sitting by the radio waiting to hit "record," I downloaded iTunes to my computer (I know, I'm way behind on technology) and purchased each song for $1.29 (although some were a bargain at $.99) (and my brother Seth is totally going to scoff at the fact that I paid for music because he knows of several websites where I can download music for free) (and can you tell that I'm super excited about this?)

So, I am thrilled to share my new mix, or my "playlist" (as the kids say these days), and I can't wait to listen to my new tunes in my mama-mobile! 
Without further delay.... 
✓ Baby- Justin Bieber & Ludacris My World (Bonus Track Version)- Pop
✓ Bad Romance- Lady GaGa, The Fame Monster (Deluxe Version)- Pop
✓ I Gotta Feeling- The Black Eyed Peas, The E.N.D. (The Energy Never Dies)- Pop
✓ (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To- Weezer, Raditude (Bonus Track Version)- Alternative
✓ Party In the U.S.A.- Miley Cyrus, Party In the U.S.A. -  Pop
✓ Leavin'- Jesse McCartney Departure: Recharged (Bonus Track Version)- Pop
✓ If It's Love- Train, Save Me, San Francisco (Bonus Track Version)- Pop
✓ Undo It- Carrie Underwood, Play On- Country
✓ Need You Now- Lady Antebellum, Need You Now- Country
✓ Falling Slowly- Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, Once (Music from the Motion Picture) Soundtrack
✓ You Are the Best Thing- Ray LaMontagne, Gossip In the Grain (Bonus Track Version)- Rock
✓ Ugly Dress- Jesse Woods, Moon Rocks Singer/Songwriter
✓ Hallelujah- Jason Castro, Jason Castro (Deluxe Version)- Pop
✓ 1, 2, 3, 4- Plain White T's, Big Bad World (Bonus Track Version)- Pop
   
I'd like to take this opportunity to plug my cousin, Jesse Woods. ESPN.go.com featured an article yesterday about Jesse and his music, and I'd love for you to read it (click here)! Jesse is incredibly talented, and the Rantz fam is cheering him on as he shares his music and pursues a career in the biz.

If you would like a copy of my "mixed tape," I'll mail one to you (and if you don't want a copy, I'm not offended, and we can still be friends)!  But you have to promise that if Jesse's folksy sound floats your boat, you must check him out on iTunes and support an up-and-comer!
 

8 comments:

Just Me said...

I might know six or seven of these so I'll just listen to yours when I get the opportunity to ride in your Mamamobile. Heheh!

Okay, I remember 8 tracks. Devon probably does too. And since I am officially "old" I can remember 45's and 75's. You are probably saying "what are those?" They are long gone....

Wilson Girlzz said...

Ahh...the memories that mixed tapes bring to mind ;)

You know I'd l-o-v-e a copy of your "tape!" I found one with your sharpie title on it the other day and rocked it for the girls on the way to school.

Now I am inspired to return the favor :)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Oh yes, the days of hovering over the radio waiting to push play at precisely the right moment. I have always been and will forever be a mixed tape kind of girl!!! I would love to have one!!!!

I am super envious that Andrea actually has one of your old mixed tapes complete with a sharpie label! :)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Oh and I will definitely check out your cousin!!!

Molly Andersson said...

next time u want a playlist... make me a list and i will do it for free... and then u will get something fun in the mail... i have everyone of those songs!!! lol but i love you and those are great songs!!

andrea perry said...

I want a copy of your fab mixed tape! I'll make you one this week and we can swap :)

P.S. Loving that Justin Bieber is your #1 track...

comfy cozy said...

Love this post! Brought me right back to the good ol' days! Except I don't think I ever had a BOY make me a mix! Poor, unloved me. But if I had, I surely would have dissected every word to every song and thought they were written just for me! I was over-confident in that way! :)

So glad you enjoyed the mix! I'd gladly accept your offer and look forward to playing it in my own mamamobile!

P.S. I'll be downloading "To be with you," um, today... love that one! And love singing at the top of my lungs to it! Completely, and sadly, forgot about that one!

Katie said...

I just downloaded my Annie's Awesome Arrangement 2010 onto my iTouch! YES!