Ah Lucy, Lucy, Lucy. Lucy, Lucy Lucy.
It has been a long day.
Last night, as I was putting Lucy to bed, snuggled up to her, peeking at the moon through her window, singing songs at her request, I looked at my baby girl and I just couldn't believe my eyes that she is so big and will soon be turning four years old (not too soon- January- but as fast as time is passing, I swear that January is next week). I had one of those moments when I recommitted to doing something that I already do everyday, but nonetheless I felt that I really needed to seal the deal on that commitment. Do you know what I'm talking about? I have to soak up every second of Lucy. I can't let myself be distracted by anything less important than my children. Because before I know it, she will be all grown up, and I will be longing for the days when she makes requests like, "Now will you sing a Cinderella song?" or asks, "Do you think the moon looks like a soccer ball?" as she holds tightly to her stuffed Cheshire Cat.
So today I awoke and remembered my renewed commitment, and while we sat and drank our morning beverages and watched our morning shows, I asked, "Lucy, can you believe that you are going to be four years old on your next birthday?" A big smile crossed her face, followed by a look of concern. "Mommy, does it make you sad that I am growing?" I wanted to respond YES IT BREAKS MY HEART! but Devon told me that I can't say stuff like that anymore because evidently it freaks her out that I get sad about her not being a baby anymore, and she can't stop from growing so she can't make me feel better, and she feels conflicted because she thinks that it is happy to have birthdays and get older yet mama feels sad, and sometimes she acts like a baby to make me happy, but it is really just kinda annoying... Devon may be right about this one, so instead of telling the truth, I assured her, "No Lulu, it doesn't make me sad. It makes me happy because you are doing such a good job of growing up."
And that is how our day began- I vowed to soak up my growing girl.
For the rest of the day, Lucy drove me crazy. Crazy!
I didn't know that she could talk for 14 consecutive hours.
She talked and talked and talked and talked.
She talked about everything. She always has a lot to say, but she was on overdrive today, and I can prove it- while Max was napping, I offered to put on a movie for her- any movie! Her choice!- but she said no thank you, she'd rather TALK!
We had many fascinating conversations, and many silly ones too, and sometimes we didn't have conversations at all- she wouldn't put periods at the end of her sentences or leave a moment of silence for me to get a word in, so I just listened.
But you know that time of the day when you could easily close your eyes and fall asleep in 2 seconds? For me, it is 3:30-4:30, and during that time today, I felt more exhausted than usual. It was the constant dialogue- kinda like when you are in a public place that is noisy, and you just need a mute button for a minute to relax your head. Or when the TV has been on all day, and once it is finally turned off, you feel like, "Wow, that is better."
I'm not being mean, I promise. Usually Lucy will read books, or play in her room, or watch a show, but today she had so much to say! I didn't get a break! NO BREAK!
The climax was definitely this evening, as the kids and I sat in traffic on our way home from running errands. Lucy had a meltdown because she'd dropped her toy. I reached behind my seat and grabbed the first thing that I could find. I handed her a Sleeping Beauty figurine, which was not what she wanted, and no sooner than I released the toy, it shot from the backseat and smacked against my dash board. Joe, who was sitting beside me in the passenger seat, screamed, "OUCH!!!!", grabbed his head and immediately started crying, and it took me a moment to realize that Sleeping Beauty hit Joe's head before ricocheting onto the dash.
"Lucy! Why did you throw that toy? You hurt Joseph! What do you say to your brother?"
I'll spare you my side of the conversation, because you know how the parent's side of the script goes.
"Mama, I've already learned my lesson! My lesson is to never throw toys! It is a really good lesson! I don't want a spank! I don't want a time-out! Please don't set the timer and give me a time-out because I will cry in a time-out! I will cry if I get a spank! I am just a little girl who doesn't like time-outs! Or spanks! I've learned a good lesson! No, I don't want to be quiet! I don't want to be quiet! I don't want to be quiet! I can't stop talking, Mama! I did apologize to Joe! Yes I did! Yes I did! Fine then- Joe, I am sorry! Yes I am! Yes I am! You aren't even hurt, Joe!"
During all of this, I am driving while consoling Joe while trying my best to keep the upper hand with Chatty Cathy. Eventually Joe and I were silent, and Lucy kept talking, and our silence made her nervous, and she finally yelled, "Mom! Say something! I need you to care for ME!"
We were giggling in the front seat- Lucy was being ridiculous. She was suddenly the victim.
At home, she did have a time-out, and she did cry the entire time, and Max did sit beside her on the time-out step as he always does, and she did eventually give Joe a sincere apology. And hopefully she learned a lesson (???).
And she continued to talk.
In bed, after telling me, "But I am scared of Big Foot! He might be real and I am freaking out!" she finally closed her eyes, and her mouth, and I looked at my big girl, just as I had the night before. I have to soak up every second of Lucy. Even when she drives me bonkers. Even when she won't stop talking. Even when she won't apologize for pelting Joe in the head with Sleeping Beauty. Because someday she will be too busy to talk to her mama, and I will be longing for the day when I couldn't get her to stop talking!

6 comments:
Oh Annie, that is seriously one FUNNY post!
I had no idea Lucy had so much to say and how ironic that it all came out on the day you were going to 'renew your vows' to her :o)
The car ride incident had me crying I was laughing so hard at what she said to you...did you keep a straight face that entire time? (I hope Joe's ok too!)
You deserve to wear a tiara!
Oh my goodness!! soooo funny! That has to be one of my favorite blogs! It is true...her little life is going to fly by....so enjoy every word : )
WOW that girl is smart! SO his her Momma who realizes just how fast these kiddos are growing. I am with you, I tell them all the time that it makes me sad that they are growing. Kennedy turned 10 a couple weeks ago and I bawled. She is so used to it that I think she might even find it endearing :).
I love your commitment to soak it all in. Sorry that the day didn't exactly go the way you expected. It certainly made for a good story :)!
I still can't believe she has that much to say!!!
Oh, I love this story. And I can't wait to get back so I can come and give you a night out and listen to every single word Lucy says. Since I don't have to listen every day I look forward to having time to.
She is such a very smart perceptive little girl. She is definitely YOUR little girl (you are perceptive and smart too) and for sure she won't be little all that long. Soon you will be longing to hear what she is thinking and doing and she won't tell you anymore. Then she will have her own life and family and won't have time to tell you.
As usual I have to laugh at Lucy's shennanigans, she is just too funny! She makes for such wonderful stories to tell. She will have all this to look at when she grows up. She will see how very much her mother loved her.
I too am cracking up!!! Being a Chatty Cathy myself-I LOVE this girl!
Perfect story, Annie!
You seriously had me cracking up on this one because, well, I can sooo relate! I have a non-stop-talker myself and quiet in our home is really hard to come by. And since she's not much into T.V. either, I sooo get it!
But your perspective is truly the golden ticket if you ask me. I know some days are just plain tiring BUT time does go by way too fast. Just wrote about that today actually! :)
P.S. Poor Joseph, just an innocent bystander!
Post a Comment