Max's head was just a few inches from my face. He opened the drawer of my nightstand, and then he slammed it shut. And then he opened it again, and then he slammed it shut. And then he knocked over the picture frame and began to push it so that it would fall behind the back of the nightstand. I open one eye just in time to save the picture frame, and as I set it back up, Max excitedly pointed at the picture and exclaimed, "Dada! Dada!" Yes, that is your dada. Where is your dada now? Did he send you up here? And did you notice that mama is also in that picture? Mama? Remember mama?
"DEVON? DEVON?"
"What? I'm in the bathroom!"
"Mom, I need to change my dress. Can you help me?"
My eyes still aren't open. Lucy is changing her dress already? It isn't even 8 o'clock.
"Yes, I'll help you. Mama is awake."
Max gleefully yelped as I stepped out of bed, as though he had succeeded in his mission.
"Sorry they woke you up. I had to go to the bathroom and they escaped. I'll get you some coffee. Lucy is in her fourth dress and fourth pair of panties." Lucy's panties must always match her dress. My laundry is endless.
I sat with my coffee and tuned into Matt Lauer. He is so dreamy. The current story is about motherhood and a woman who just wrote a book called I Love My Children, I Hate My Life. 71% of moms wish they had more time to themselves, and 85% feel that they don't have enough time with their children. That is all the information that I could gather from the report, because Max and Lucy are so loud!
"I wish that children came with volume control."
"Yeah, like a mute button?"
Max gathered a pile of toys, and then threw them one at a time down the stairs to our front door. As they hit the hardwood at the bottom of the stairs, I thought, Well, Joe should be waking up any moment. Max is the in-house wake-up call.
Devon filled a bottle with milk for Max, and just as he returned to sit beside me on the sofa, Lucy piped in that she reeeealllly wants some chocolate milk.
As Devon made his way back to the kitchen, Lucy and Max both disappeared up the stairs. Ah, it is quiet.
"MOMMMMMMMMMMM! MOM! I need a costume!"
"DADA! DADA!"
Devon climbed the stairs, retrieved Max, and Lucy followed them down wearing a costume.
"Alright, I've got to get ready for work." No, don't leave me!
Max pulled my wallet off of the dining room table and was emptying all of it's contents out as fast as his little hands could work. Devon collected the wallet, much to Max's disappointment. His squeals are so sharp this morning.
"Baba! Baba!"
Where did his baba go?
We began looking for it- behind the sofa, behind the cushions, under the table, among the toys, in the garbage, up the stairs, down the stairs. It is missing, and we can only hope that it is right-side-up.
I sat back down in front of the TV, hoping to finish my coffee before it got cold. "Oh, there it is, behind the TV." Found the baba!
"Where is my chocolate milk?" Oh dear.
"Okay, honey, I've got to get moving."
"Okay, I guess it is time for me to clock-in."
Max snuggled in beside me, sucking the last drop of milk out of his bottle, and then climbed onto my lap, wrapped both arms around my neck and planted a big, open-mouth kiss on my face. He smelled like poop.
Good morning mama!
Get to work!
Some of our fun this week...
6 comments:
you smell like poop too!
I had to read this to my husband! You are so funny and I get really excited for you blog entries. Keep em' coming :)
Like I have said, you should write a column. Or a book. Or something. Well, you write this blog and it is wonderful. Since I have been there I know how this goes down. And I have looked for that baba a few times myself. How CAN it disappear. And Lucy must have broke a record for costume changes!
But you are there every day all day, all night...how did I raise three kids? I so love being a grandma :-)
A few things I love:
1. Your countdown chain to Disneyland.
2. Lucy's need to match.
3. That your coffee gets cold too (I average having to nuke mine at least 3times per morning. No lie.)
4. Upside down babas (or sippy cups, in our case), and the havoc they wreak.
5. Helpful hubbies.
6. The Today Show, which I get to enjoy all of, um, say once every two weeks or so.
7. Being the only one that can magically make everything "just right" for the rest of the family.
8. Your blog. :)
I am too sick to comment much...I too love your blog and this post. I love the paper chain and Lucy's dress the most!
yes, yes, and yes...I love you more than words can express!!
Post a Comment