Here in the Northwest, the 4th of July is a bit different. The joke around here is that summer actually begins on July 5th, meaning that today will be cloudy with a chance of rain and tomorrow will be clear skies and temps might reach the 70's, or maybe even the 80's (not likely).
Oh, how I long for California today!
But, anyway... I am looking forward to celebrating with my family and continuing the traditions that we've built on this holiday, regardless of the weather. It makes me smile to think that one day my kids might say, "...the 4th was all about (still) wearing our winter clothes, and Merry's pool was heated to 90 degrees, and we would hope that the clouds would clear by night so that we could see the fireworks over Issaquah..."
What are YOU doing today? What are your traditions?

7 comments:
Happy 4th of July to you as well! I love hearing about your traditions. Let us see...what is our tradition? We actually spent it inside because it was too hot to go outside! Ha! Funny that we are having opposite problems that have the same solution.
We would typically spend it in a pool to keep cool, then head off to my parents to sit on the local golf course to watch fireworks and eat home made ice cream! This year because I had to have another procedure which involves stitches (BOOOOO!), I couldn't soak in a pool-and because of budget cuts-the city is not doing a fireworks show. So I am not sure what our tradition will be in the future!?! Either way, it will involve staying cool, not getting sun burned, and eating homemade vanilla ice cream.
Love it, our childhood traditions were the exact same, except of course, mine were in LWW rather than LOP! And I think you kinda indirectly brought up a really good point: most of us long for what we knew as kids growing up and feel nostalgic for whatever those particular experiences were. And it's not that they were necessarily "better" than others', but it kinda feels like that because most of us remember our childhood so fondly. So, my point is, that I have no doubt that the Rantz kiddies will someday think that THEIR Northwestern holiday vibe was the BEST and have pity on those of us that suffered the extreme heat. They will be thinking exactly what you so eloquently suggested they'd be...for sure!
And I know what you're saying about Ca., because it will always be home to me BUT sometimes I think that I lose sight of the reality of what it's all about because it's just so darn clouded by my awesome childhood memories. And it seems to me that Ca. pales in comparison to the beauty of Wa., Puget Sound... and I think I'd be pretty darn happy about 70 degree temps! See?! The grass is always greener! :) Oh, and don't get me started on how cozy the fall and winter must be in the Northwest!
P.S. Since Danny works in a resort style town and they do quite the show of fireworks every year over the lake, it is mandatory that he work and "oversee", which is hardly work really, as he drove the boat all day! I had my lovely monthly migraine so Han and I stayed local and spent time with the rest of the fam. Maybe next year we'll get some hottie to give us a boat ride! :)
Happy 4th Annie!!
P.P.S.
I'm reminded since it's on TV right now that I always end up watching the Boston Pops perform late at night. And something else that never fails is that it is done in tandem while eating. This year's pick: ridiculously fresh white cake with lemon sauce layers and topped with Cool Whip. Mmm! I'm happy!
Gosh...a day later! You've gone wild blogger buddy!! :o)
So, this was the first year there were no fireworks to watch because we were camping and I really missed bundling up and overpacking blankets, lawn chairs and hot chocolate and totting them all over to Jewell School (where I went to elementary school) and watching the show from the playground because it has the best view of Pilot Butte (double bonus, you don't have to drive anywhere, it's in walking distance from our house!)
I think next year I'll do my best to bag a 4th of July camping trip and stay home...I want a BBQ, homemade lemonade, melon balls, strawberry shortcakes...and my fireworks!! I do sound greedy don't I??? I want to SHARE this all with the girls, I think they would have just as much fun(at least some sparklers would for sure do the trick!)
Hi Annie! You are so cute! I love your 4th of July memories! Lets see, growing up it was definitely the Grass Valley fairgrounds for me. I spent the day running around with some friends and eating as much from Treat Street as our stomachs could stand! Then lying down on a blanket and watching the fireworks.
These days...well we are usually with YOUR FAMILY, the one i California that is! :) Lounging by the pool, eating, playing games, and of course some singing might take place :)))), followed up by some ice cream cones and fireworks! The only thing missing was YOU!!! :)))
Washington is beautiful though and I will have to agree with Sadina that your kids are going to grow up relishing their 4th of July traditions! Orrrrrrr if you are worried you could just come to Cali on the 4th from now on! :))))
Just in case I haven't used the smiley face enough in this comment :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))!
We missed you and your family on the 4th!! Every year we wish you were here with us. I loved 4th of July in Lake of the Pines, they always did a great job! I remember when we first moved there(you were 7 or 8)you volunteered to sit in the dunk tank, and i could not change your mind!!! it was kinda hard watching people throwing balls at my girl! I am glad you had a good holiday, but next year.....come home :)
P.S. did I mention 97 degrees (pool at 80) chips with mango salsa and quacamole, rice krispie treats, brownies, deviled eggs, strawberries, cherries, grapes, watermelon, hamburgers/hotdogs, baked beans, potato salad, pasta salad, every imaginable soda, waters, ice cream cones, swimming, ping pong, catchphrase and a GREAT place to watch fireworks!! love you :)
Post a Comment