July 9, 2010

Feelin' Hot Hot Hot

Before I moved to Seattle, I'd heard that it rains and rains here, and then it rains a little more, and then when the clouds finally open up and the sun appears, you would be hard pressed to find a more majestic city.  On a clear day, the air is clean, the grass is green, and snow capped mountains surround as far as the eye can see. 

Now, you know that I am a California girl at heart, but I've got to say that I live in a very beautiful corner of the country.

So, I moved here six years ago, I found a tiny studio apartment that had one window which faced west, and I embraced the rain, waiting for the day when I'd get to see the glory that is a Seattle summer day.

And then it arrived.  And it was more lovely than I'd even expected.  And I drove around all day with my sunroof open, iced caramel macchiato in my cup holder, enjoying the view of the Olympic Mountain range which suddenly appeared across the water of the Puget Sound.

Boy, did that sunshine heat up my little apartment!  It was impossible to create a breeze through the room with only the single window, and I desperately searched for the air conditioner.  Where was it?  That box on the wall only controlled heat?  Heat??  Shouldn't there be a control box mounted on one of these four walls?  I searched the walls several times until I finally called the front office and asked, "How do I turn on the air conditioning?"

Can you guess how that conversation went? 

I baked that summer.  For real- my home was an oven. 

*******************************************

Summer finally arrived this week, and the temperature has shifted from a high of 65 on Monday to a record breaking 95 on Wednesday!  Yes, we are joining the rest of America in the heatwave!  We are packing up our children and taking them to lakes and pools!  We are rubbing on the sunblock and drinking a lot of water!  We are hot!

I won't complain about the sun or the heat, but I will complain all day long about the fact that air conditioning is not standard issue in homes. 

It is 10:31 pm right now, and my bedroom is 88.5 degrees.  Seriously.  Ick!

Joe is keeping cool in his basement bedroom.  But as for Lucy and Max, I just don't have the heart to move them to their beds upstairs, away from the ceiling fan in the living room.  So, here they sleep :) 

5 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

I am cracking up thinking of you calling to find out about the mysterious missing air conditioning!!! :)

I felt like I was right there with you in the car driving around with the sunroof open! Except I would have an iced mocha in my cup holder! :)

Sorry you are baking...but I know you are not complaining...such cute little hot babies!!!!

Just Me said...

Oh, I am so laughing at Max's little bum up in the air and the two of them snoozing away on the couch. How stinkin' cute is that?

Yes, my dear, you are in Seattle, where it gets soooo hot about two weeks out of the year and air conditioning is a luxury for libraries and office buildings. Library....that sounds like a good idea.

Oh, and I put swimming pools in the same category with the air conditioners.

But is there really anyplace more beautiful when you can actually see it ALL???

Wilson Girlzz said...

I hear ya sista!
I'm shweaty too right now - our house isn't equipt with AC and on days like today...I seriously wish that it was!

95 is HOT for Seattle! WoW!
Max and Lucy are super cute on the couch together. When you finally move them up to bed is that how you and Devon will sleep tonight?? ha ha - what a funny image that would be!! :o)

Side note: I really love your new layout and background!

Allison said...

Come down here to Texas, and I will keep you cool! (It sounds like an oxymoron.) It gets so hot down here we have 2 AC units to keep our house cool!

I love the way Max sleeps-E sleeps with his little bum up in the air as well. I love it!

comfy cozy said...

Ha! I like Andrea's image of you and Devon! Max's bum in the air is too CUTE!!!

It's been hot here all weekend too! Good thing for us all the places we've been have their a/c's pumpin'!

P.S. There's always a price to pay for beauty and it appears that Seattle is not exempt!

P.P.S. Love both your and Andrea's new backgrounds!