August 31, 2009

"I Am Not A Smart Man, But I Know What Love Is."

Did you read that title with an accent? Do you know where that quote came from?


Okay, my intelligence seriously escaped me today.


I took Lucy and Max to Fred Meyer to buy school supplies for Joseph, because SCHOOL STARTS ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!! and Lucy, of course, was asking for everything she saw. It went something like this, "Can I have that toothpaste? Can I have that book? Can I have that gum? Can I have those scissors?" It went on and on. We had an incident last week- I'll refer to it as The Princess Dress Tantrum of '09- that may keep me from taking Lucy to 1) Target, and 2) a toy aisle, ever again, so I knew to avoid putting anything in her sight that she would really want, but we did stumble across a book of Disney Princess paper dolls.


I loved paper dolls when I was little. I kept them in a big box, and I would play with them for hours. I would carefully punch out all of the dolls, outfits and accessories, trying hard not to tear off any limbs or any of the tiny tabs that hold the clothes onto the bodies. I suppose that I envisioned Lucy having the same affection for paper dolls that I once did... but mostly I envisioned her having something to keep her busy for the rest of the afternoon so that I could give my to-do list some attention.


Wow. What was I thinking? How could I have been so wrong?


When I looked at the pretty pink book covered in fancy princesses, and read "6 Paper Dolls and Over 150 Accessories!", how did I not calculate that I would be the person to punch out 6 paper dolls and over 150 accessories?


It was a long afternoon of paper dolls, and I somehow managed to get a break by convincing Lucy that she needed her fingernails and toenails painted (that was my break!!!), but when Devon got home from work there were still many pages of gowns to be punched out, and he kindly finished the task for me (after laughing at me for a while).


Oh, and not only is Lucy not capable of removing the dolls and dresses from the book, but she is also not quite able to put the dresses on the dolls. I am considering using a glue stick or some double-sided tape to dress these princesses.


Not one of my best ideas :)

7 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Annie! She is soooo precious!!! Your efforts are ADMIRABLE!!! I loved paper dolls growing up too! Kennedy found my collection a couple of years ago on a garage cleaning expedition. You never cease to crack a girl up! So funny!

The princess fit of 09 huh? Do they have your pictures up at Target? Kennedy threw such a good one when she was 2 1/2 that I felt like the employees were "warned" about us entering the store :)))!

One of these days she will be painting your fingers and toes!
You are such a good Mommy!

Leslie said...

Forrest Gump and yes I did have an accent! That was sooooo funny!!! It was a really good thought with alot of love !!!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Ooops, I fogot that part. I didn't know what it was from :)!

comfy cozy said...

Annie! You are sooo funny!! It was a wonderfully sweet idea but it's challenging sometimes to think these sorts of things all the way through... How is it that life seemed so much simpler back in our day?! Now even paper dolls can make a girl's head spin!

You really are such a good mama and Lucy is lucky to have you. I mean seriously, your "break" was painting her toes?!!

And I was about 70% sure that it was Forrest!

Wilson Girlzz said...

DUDE!
L-O-V-E the humor!
It's SO what I needed today!!

You crack me up and, I admit, it took me a while to get the title...but now, I'm so in ;o)

Paper dolls!? I would have never guessed they were so much work either, but it makes perfect sense...you poor, poor, sweet mommy!

Just Me said...

I loved paper dolls too. Maybe now that she knows how it all works she will be able/willing/excited? to do them herself next time. Ah, we can wish :-)

Molly Andersson said...

Forest gump.. and i totally read it with the accent!! Lucy was so good with my old paper dolls when she was here... maybe its beacause the clothes had been punched out for quite some time :) I love you and Im sure she'll be really good at paper dolls someday!! :) she comes from a line of women who loved dolls when they were little :)