September 1, 2012

My Heart, Times Three

Lucy needed some attention this morning.
She was being a stinker,
and I knew that some extra mama-love would snap her out of her funk.
So I picked her up and held her on my chest like I did when she was a baby.
I held her bum with one of my hands, and her arms flung over my shoulders and rested down my back.
Her feet hung down to my knees,
and I held her head on my shoulder and pressed her little face toward my neck.
I realized, she is huge.
Yet,
she is my baby, forever.
Next week she will start kindergarten,
and I can't even talk about it.
Sigh.



She is ready for school, and she will love it.
I'm not so sure if I'm ready!


And Max wrestles more than he snuggles. 
He shoots imaginary webs from his wrists and answers to the name Spiderman. 
He pees on the wall- his aim needs improvement- and says, "Oh, sowwy mom. I peed on 'da waw adin." 
He nearly needs a translator, and we love him for it.   
He has two cowlicks in his hair which make the shape of devil horns. 
He climbs onto shoulders and heads, he head-butts groins, he sits on my foot and clings to my leg like a little monkey.   
He tells me that he "wuvs" me. 
He likes to hold my hand. 
And he wants to marry me or Lucy someday.
Oh, be still my heart! 

 
 
And Joseph,
oh, Joseph.
One more year before high school.
So crazy.
After 7 years as his mom,
I am still learning how to be his mom-
how to navigate our relationship and how to be who he needs me to be.
I've learned a lot this summer,
and I think that this school year is going to be better than the last.
(it has to be!)
 
 
He is beginning to give up his toys-
passing them along to Lucy and Max.
He is beginning to ask for more freedoms,
and he is learning that trust and freedoms go hand-in-hand.
I see a young man emerging,
though he still likes to be tucked in at night.
:)

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Love your mother's heart and sense of humor, a blessed combination!

Just Me said...

Love the new look and love you all! I love your writings about love. Your kids are lucky to have you for their mom.