September 4, 2012

School Days

In a surprising turn of events, I am actually excited for Lucy to start kindergarten tomorrow.  I am not expecting any tears, but I'll let you know how it goes.
 
After a campus tour, and a fill-out-forms-and-take-school-pictures day, and a meet the teacher morning, and a kindergarten assessment, and then finally a parent-only meeting this afternoon....  I honestly feel like Can't we just start school already?
 
At the parent meeting today, I filled out yet another form with Lucy's emergency contact information, but on the other side of the paper, there were some new questions.  These questions were about Lucy.  What are your child's academic strengths? What activities does your child enjoy outside of school? What are your academic concerns for your child? What are your child's social characteristics?
 
Oh my, I had never really thought about Lucy in such an objective manner, describing her to a complete stranger. I did my best to give good answers, and I'll admit that I used my eraser a few times, trying to find the right words to express my thoughts, as though this was a graded assignment to determine either how well I know my child or how well I've prepared my child for school. Oy.
 
I hope that I earn an A+ as a kindergarten mama.
 
Here is what I wanted to write:
 
Lucy will do just fine in school, and she will fit right in with all of the other kids.  But please make sure that you appreciate her sweet little perfectly-round face.  Her dad and I especially like the dimple in her chin.  When she giggles, she covers her mouth with her hand and shrugs her shoulders, and it is super cute- you won't want to miss it!  She loves to dance and sing, she loves being a girl, and she loves pink. I hope you enjoy our Lucy!
 
"Meet the Teacher" morning
 
 
************
 
Joe's first day of 8th grade was "good".  That's it.  That's all I got from him.  "Good."  I pried a bit more, finding the right questions to ask, and learned that he likes his teachers, he has friends in all of his classes, and he memorized his locker combination.  "Good" is good, so I feel good. Good!
 
 
What I remember vividly about my first day of 8th grade is that boys' voices were deeper, girls suddenly had boobs, boys seemed to like looking at girls' boobs, my new denim overalls were awesome, and most of the girls had grown taller than the boys, and my science teacher had the nickname of "Mr. Pick-and-Flick" because he was known to pick and nose and flick his boogs.  I'll bet that when I got home from that first day, and my mom asked me about school, I probably said, "Good. It was good." :)
 
 
*************
 
And the other monkey has no desire to go to school.  Ever. 
 
 
 


1 comment:

Just Me said...

Oh, Annie, I think you should have written that, maybe at the bottom, or the top, or on the back of the form...what you said about Lucy. It made me choke up for our little Lucy. I love her so much! I am sure you did fill the form out well. I am sure I don't remember what I said to my parents about eighth grade. So it must have also been "good." If it was something else I woulda remembered it, right?
Can't wait to hear about LU's first day!