The sun was shining, and I got to go to the pumpkin patch with Lucy and her preschool class. As we were driving there, singing along with Taylor Swift, I thought to myself This is the good stuff. Moments like these make up with best parts of my life.
Max had to stay behind with Devon because siblings weren't allowed. But we didn't miss him. It isn't often that I get to give Lucy my undivided attention. And my girl sure soaks up that attention!
We met up with her class, took some pictures, the kids ate some snacks...
![]() |
| (I thought that the kids were going to stagger between all the pumpkins, but when they didn't, Lucy looked like the odd man out, or "the stinky kid") |
The kids ran around in a hay maze while the parents talked about the weather, discussed Halloween costumes, snapped pictures...
We all toured the farm and learned quite a few new things, such as do you know what the most important animal is on the farm? Not the cows, and not the horses (though it was discussed that cows and horses play several important roles, including the production of poo, which the kids thought was hilarious). Bees! According to the farm that we visited today, bees are the most important, and without them we wouldn't have nearly 80% of our produce. We learned all about the queen bee, the drone bees, and the worker bees. I have a whole new appreciation for honey.
We met the cows, and Lucy took her turn feeding hay to Blanche, the mama cow.
We met some goats, which Lucy has repeatedly referred to as donkeys.
And finally, just when Lucy was about to ask for the 100th time "When are we going to get a pumpkin?", we loaded up on the wagon and the John Deere pulled us out to the pumpkin patch. It was a bumpy ride, and we liked it. :)
And the search for the perfect pumpkin began!
![]() |
| Eureka! |
The wagon took us back to the farm, and the field trip was over. But Lucy and I took a few more minutes to look around before we headed home.
As we walked back to our minivan, parked among the rows of other minivans, I thought to myself I have the dirtiest, ugliest van in the lot. Oh well. And then I saw that my passenger side window had been smashed into a million pieces. No! No! I'd left my purse in the van, and my purse contained my wallet and my cell phone. No! No! The purse was gone.
A team of mommies quickly assembled to help me file a police report, clean up the glass, and talk to Lucy while I transformed into a weepy pile of pity... (and I should add that I am not a pretty crier. My face awkwardly contorts when I cry). One woman- a stranger- even called Devon to ask him to notify our bank right away. The owner of the farm came out to see what had happened, and he was so kind. Everyone was kind and helpful. I was very sad. Besides the obvious reasons why this would be an upsetting situation, there are extra reasons, like that my wallet contained my grocery money. And we don't currently have comprehensive coverage on the van to replace the window, nor do we have renter's insurance which would have covered the belongings. And my wallet was a Mother's Day gift from years ago. And the purse- the purse? The most beautiful purse? The purse was a birthday gift from Merry. And my wallet had pictures of my kids, and so did my cell phone. And my wallet had my postage stamps, and my Papa Murphy's club card which already had 7 out of 10 stamps needed to get a free pizza... And, yes, I tearfully shared these very pathetic details with everyone. See? Pile of pity in the pumpkin patch parking lot.
The farmer helped me fill a bag of produce from his store- food to bring home. And the mommies gave me extra hugs and offered extra help before they left.
I made my way home with a strong sense that for as many bad people as there are in the world- people who would troll a pumpkin patch parking lot and bust a window of a dirty, old minivan and steal my personal belongings- there are so many good, loving and kind people who are eager to help someone in need. I felt very blessed and very robbed, all at the same time.
And the blessing have continued. The farmer called and offered to pay to replace the window. I didn't even give him my name or Devon's cell phone number, so I'm not sure how he found me! And Merry has offered an early Christmas gift to replace the purse. And Katie gave me her old cell phone to use, which was a fairly easy transfer of my phone number and contact list. Tomorrow I'll get started on replacing my driver's license, insurance cards, Costco card, etc.
Some loser robbed me today, but I'm going to do my best to not let him have tomorrow too. I've got too much to be grateful for.







6 comments:
Oh Annie! The first part of this story was so sweet, and I love that you got to have a day with your girl. :) That picture of Miss Lucy is pretty funny where she is the random kid out to the right. Had you not explained I would have thought she was having a moment!
On to the second part, my heart just sank when I read the words. I am so sorry. When I read the title, I was thinking that maybe a kiddos robbed you of your day or a snow storm blew threw and robbed you of a beautiful fall day, or something of that sort. You have such a great perspective about having someone take your things, but I still am so sorry that they did. I will send bad "ju-ju" their way!
God is good, and it is clear that he is providing for you and your family! It even sounds as if you may have a few things replaced that were lost. I love you and your positive view on what happened!
Oh, Annie!! What a day:( It breaks my heart that your fun day with Lucy was ruined by some selfish, rascal!!! I'm happy to hear about all the kind people who stepped up...it gives you a little hope that there are nice, caring people still out there. I love you so much and will keep you in my prayers.
I also forgot to say that I love the fact that people in Seattle actually wear "wellies!" (sp?) I have always wanted a pair of them, but unfortunately they don't ever get used down here because we are so dry! In one of your pictures I think that 90% of the people in the back ground are wearing them! :)
I was sooo sad to hear of the end of your experience to the pumpkin patch. You must feel so violated. And blessed with so many coming forward to help. I was going to offer you my cell phone too.
You did get some great pics of your date with Lucy. Love her coat she got from Merry. I think our little model was sitting in a perfect posing position. She is NOT the "stinky kid!" She is a leader, not a follower. She is very special (grandmother here, unbiased, of course).
You need a hug and a night out with you prince. See you soon!
NO NO NOOOOOO! I am so mad!!!! You have such a sweet perspective and you are right but I want to kick some purse thieving blank blank!!!! Unbelievable! :( SO SORRY! How violating! We had a break in two doors up day before yesterday and to see the homeowner's faces when they saw their home ransacked and their flat screen laying on the lawn cause it wouldn't fit in the dirty perps car, was just gut wrenching. Please tell me it's not raining a lot yet? Well, hopefully you can get it fixed fast. UGH!
Okay, had to get that out. Well, you and Lucy are tdf you are both so cute and she will have the best memories from that day and it will be a story you will tell years from now when she asks for some stories about her childhood. Kennedy asks me daily and you can be sure I would be pulling that one out.
I love you to death and I am so glad you have a support system there and that the sweet farmer tracked you down!
Hey! I've been meaning to comment on your blog and tell you how adorable your family is [as if you didn't already know]! I'm in Issaquah for the week and figured it was a good time to say hello!
Post a Comment