Stress. Ugh.
Ideally, I'd go shopping. Retail therapy works wonders for me.
But since the stress is related to our lack of funds, shopping isn't an option.
So, I've been cleaning. Cleaning like a crazy person. Cleaning like I'm earning a paycheck. Cleaning like I'm searching for a sense of control. Cleaning like I'd better take care of the stuff we have because we can't afford to buy new stuff. Cleaning upstairs, downstairs, closets, cabinets, carpet- oh!- and I bleached the Sharpie drawings off of my white sofa slip-cover!
I've also been cleaning our garage, and today I decided to tackle the six boxes of Lucy's baby clothes that have been stashed in a corner. Evidently, I felt sentimentally attached to every item of clothing that Lucy wore during her first two years. I saved everything. I even saved all of her burp cloths, binkies, and baby socks. What was I thinking? And what surprised me was that most of the clothes had stains of the baby-poo and spit-up variety, yet I boxed them up anyway.
I made a big pile to be donated, and I renamed the burp clothes to "dust rags", and I set aside some clothes to be consigned, and I trashed a whole pile, and then I saved one box of the best, unstained items: the outfits that Baby Lucy wore on special occasions but didn't ruin with her frequent up-chucking, and the outfits that I'd bought for my baby girl long before I had a baby girl, and the outfits that I found to be especially cute or sentimental.
It was a good afternoon of cleaning, and Lucy was on hand to ooh and aah at all the cute stuff.
And in my quest for control- uh, I mean cleanliness- I've been selling stuff on Craigslist and taking babysitting jobs. Trying to be resourceful, you know? And I'll let you in on a secret- if you call your cable company and ask them to review your service because you are looking to lower your bill, they'll kindly reduce your charges for an extended period.
I'm feeling pretty good about my efforts! Can you tell?
Who needs retail therapy?
(okay, I really miss shopping!)

4 comments:
Lucy at her best posing...so very cute. Good for you on the cleaning, my least favorite job.
But I too could use some retail shopping, not for electric toothbrushes and wireless headphones, which was also fun (with birthday money) but clothes shopping. Oh well, other things have claims on any money I may have left. For now. I miss you guys, it must be time for a visit.
NO KIDDING!
I could really go for a good shopping trip too!!
I'll hire you to come clean my house and sort through my boxes!!
Can I hire you to come to my house?!? How I wish I were motivated to do what you are doing...And yes...there is something special about Lucy!
Same boat different river! :) It is actually super empowering to really get a sense of what you have and what you can get by without!
Go Annie go!!!!
I am going to call my cable company! :)
Post a Comment