Last week we had the pleasure of getting all dolled up and heading to Seattle to see Mary Poppins at The Paramount Theater.
What a treat!
Lucy wore her fanciest dress and she let me curl her hair and put in a barrette, and we chose a necklace that matched, and I even brushed on a little blush and eyeshadow. She looked fabulous!
I tried on every old and outdated dress in my closet before I decided on the one that I wore my junior year of college to the Spring Formal at the Santa Barbara Zoo. Oy vey. I amped up my make-up and my jewelry, and I made the grave decision to wear heels. Imagine me gimping through downtown Seattle in high heels, dragging Lucy behind me (because the child does not walk beside me- I swear- she pulls on my arm and drags)- I am not the most elegant woman in the world. But I felt good, so, sore feet or not, mama was happy!
And, of course, Merry looked great, and she wore sensible shoes. Smarty pants.
We fought through some traffic to get into the city, which caused some high anxiety, but after some yummy dessert (who needs dinner?), we eased into our seats in the beautiful theater and were ready to take in the magic that is Mary Poppins. Of the three of us, I'm not sure who was the most excited. I vote me!
The show was fantastic. FAN TAS TIC!!
I hadn't seen the movie in years, so I'd forgotten most of the aspects of the story, but I found it to be full of life-lessons, which I intend to apply to my own life right away! I'm being serious! Mary Poppins has such a unique outlook on life, and she creatively encourages the children (Jane and Michael Banks) toward hard work and responsibility and kindness and imagination, and her bag- oh, that magical bag!- and her quick wit, and her impeccable wardrobe, and her lovely accent... I'll just say it- I want to be Mary Poppins.
So, I think I'll start with the accent.
After all, the songs have been stuck in my head, and you can't really sing the songs from Mary Poppins without a proper English accent!
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in the most delightful way!
And just for fun, here are some of my favorite Mary Poppins quotes. Enjoy these gems!
"That's a piecrust promise. Easily made, easily broken."
(Mary Poppins measures herself with her tape measure and reads what it says) "As I expected. 'Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way.'"
"In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and - SNAP - the job's a game!"
"Why do you always complicate things that are really quite simple?"
"I'd like to make one thing quite clear: I never explain anything."
"Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking."
"Never judge things by their appearance... even carpetbags. I'm sure I never do."





7 comments:
How positively delightful!(written in british accent!) Dad and I saw it in London 4 years ago and LOVED it! It is coming to Sacramento next month and I am taking Molly to see it and I cannot wait! Btw, good thing i shrunk that dress of yours, It fits again and looks lovely! Love you!! :)
Oh! and I forgot to say how stunning Lucy looks!!! I think we all need an Aunt Merry! :)
You all look practically perfect! Love your dresses. It is so fun to get all dressed up for a special occasion and then uou gotta wear heels,right?
I agree, Leslie, we all need an Aunt Merry!
Hi ANNIE! I am so happy for you and your fun evening out!!!! Could you look any more beautiful!!!! I have been missing all of your posts...:( unpacking and a full weekend but I will get caught up on commenting! Love you!
Hi ANNIE! I am so happy for you and your fun evening out!!!! Could you look any more beautiful!!!! I have been missing all of your posts...:( unpacking and a full weekend but I will get caught up on commenting! Love you!
You're always having so much fun on your mother/daughter dates!! I just can't wait to have my own;)
I LOVE musicals! So glad that y'all were able to have a fun girls day out! Love you!
Post a Comment