When I was growing up, Memorial Day weekend was never spent camping, or hosting BBQs, or shopping for the best deals at the fabulous sales. The extended holiday weekend was spent with my siblings and my mom, doing our best to fill the long days and hoping that my dad was selling a lot of mattresses at his big mattress sale.
When I was in my early twenties, Memorial Day weekend was spent selling mattresses. Making deals, setting up deliveries, and feeding off the adrenaline buzz and comes from making money.
Now, as a mama, Memorial Day weekend is spent filling the hours with my own children, hoping that Devon is selling a lot of mattresses!
Hey, at least my life has been consistent!
So, the kids and I have been filling in the hours!
The highlight of the holiday weekend so far has been loading up every seat in my minivan and driving out to Aunt Merry's on Saturday. We introduced our friends Katie, Jude, Ethan and Grey to our home-away-from-home :)
So, now I have just one more day to fill. What to do, what to do? So far, I've read two issues of Entertainment Weekly while Max and Lucy have made a tremendous mess of the house.
My mother-in-law has a subscription to Entertainment Weekly and she passes the magazines to me after she reads them. Pretty sweet deal, right?! Here is a bit of what I learned this morning-
I have already set my DVR for the June 7th episode of Inside the Actors Studio, and if you are a fan of Modern Family (who ISN'T???), you should set your DVR too.
I graduated from high school is 1997, and just reading this list of chart toppers took me right back to my red VW Cabriolet, listening to these songs with the volume turned up loud! (Except, I can't recall the group Rome or that song. Can you?). I confess- I bought the CD single of MMMBop! I still have it, and you can borrow it if you'd like.
SoundBites are always a good read.
Before Nsync brought their curly haired superstar into my life, my heart belonged to another boy-bander. He is in this photo- can you guess who? My 11 year-old self covered my bedroom walls with posters and pages from TeenBop. My Walkman played the cassettes of New Kids on the Block, and I'd sing and dance along. I loved you, Jordan Knight!
Sadly, I never saw them in concert. My mom had just given birth to my sister, so I suppose she had other priorities than taking me to join the masses of screaming girls at an NKOTB show. I don't blame her. Now that I am a mom, I can think of 1,000 things that I'd rather do than hang out with screaming 11 year-olds.
But here is my second chance to see them live, with the Backstreet Boys! Am I going to the show? Not unless someone wants to go with me! Anyone interested??
How are you spending the holiday weekend?
Do you need a new mattress? I know a few great salesmen!






6 comments:
What am I doing this holiday weekend?? Well.... let's just say some things never change! :) Love you.
Glad to provide Entertainment for your Memorial Day.
What am I doing? The same as always, contemplating the weather...is it nice enough for Nikki and I to take a nice little walk to Juanita Beach on Lake Washington?
almost got to comment...be back :))))
This made me and Brett laugh :) Love to your family.
I love your blogs; I'm always so entertained;)
We went to a BBQ at my dad's on Saturday, relaxed on Sunday, and went to dinner at my mom's on Monday.
PS
NKOTB was my first concert! I kept the sweatshirt I wore for years...it was unwashed;) Thought I might lose the concert vibes!
Oh!! Would love to see you whenever you are here:) Just give us a call. I'm on maternity leave until October!!
Post a Comment